2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys -- I have a nice piece of striper soaking in some milk and Garlic salt that I wish to cook up this evening -- I am not in the mood for fried fish -- So I think I would like to bake it or Grill it -- 1 problem - I never do this .. Any tips or recipes ????

·
Registered
728 Posts
I mix a little vinegar with the milk (my wife could tell yo uthe fancy name for it, but it cuts the fishy taste pretty good), soak the filets in the milky junk for a few hours... then I take the fish and sprinkle lemon pepper on the filets and broil until they are white/flakey and eat them with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce... We have broiled up several with crabmeat stuffed in the center of the fish, which makes for a nice meal if you have some crabmeat handy... I've never grilled Striper, but I like other fished grilled after it has been marinated in Italian salad dressing for a while... it might be worth a try....

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
man nothin beats blackened striper or catfish... that stuff is addictive.....JJ

·
Registered
728 Posts
All of the blackened fish I have eaten, and that has been limited to tuna and dolphin (not porpoise), has been a little bit spicy but not "hot" to me. Blackened fish is prepared by seasoning your favorite fish and then dropping it into a smokin' hot skillet until it's black on one side, and then flippin it over to repeat the process on the other side. Thick filets can be butterfly-cut to make them easier to cook through without burning the fish... note that the outside should be black, not brown and the skillet VERY hot before putting in the fish... you can grease the pan with butter (1/4 stick or so) or your grease of choice... fatback, lard, bacon grease or your favorite unsaturated fat safflower oil will work to keep the fish from sticking in the pan. There are "special" blackening seasons (Cajon brand comes to mind) and I'm sure there are as many recipes for blackened fish as there are families that enjoy the stuff... I've never blackened striper... I have had it cooked "whole" with the scales scraped off (it was terrible) and it took me ten years before I'd even try another piece of striped bass after that nasty tasting fish... Filet the skin off, remove a smuch of the dark red meat on the sides as you can (fatty, fishy tasting stuff), soak or marinade, cook it the way you like it and enjoy..... save me a piece?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Try this. Place the fillets in tin foil, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a couple lemon slices. Coat this with a thin layer of JohnBoy and Billies Grillin Sauce, fold tin foil around top of fish, and place on slow grill or in oven on about 275 - 325 for a slow cook. Eat hot.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah, When I am lucky enough to have a filet big enough, I do it on the grill. I can't say whether the Grillin' sauce or the slow cook does it but it is delicious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts