2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for anyone that has any experience with a Baja 250 sportfish on an offshore trip. I am thinking about buying one but am a bit concerned about the stability while trolling or at rest in average seas with the go fast hull design. I have a wife & one daughter that get sick.

Thanks

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
I am not familiar with the boat but a quick look at the website is informative. It has an 8' 6" beam with a 24 degree deadrise.

It should scream through choppy seas and ride well with that much deadrise. However, at rest or trolling it will probably tend to roll fairly sharply. I recently made a few trips on a 23 Regulator (same deadrise) and that was the case when drift fishing.

I would try to have a demo ride in less than perfect conditions to check out the ride. I am sure it will fish well, but if you are expecting two motion sickness prone folks to like it, it may not be the best choice. If the motion sickness is bad enough, even the Queen Elizabeth might not be acceptable.

All boats are a compromise in some manner, I just don't think you can compensate enough for seasickness. My wife loves to fish but will not go out of sight of land. I hate that she will not go offshore with me, but I am not going to quit going out there.

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted on your eventual choice.

Bob

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
There's one on the San Bernard river. Dont know when Ill talk to the guy again but will ask if it is anytime soon.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with DT.. unfortunatly for most people.. you either get sick, or you don't. I don't know of too many people that would fair any better on one boat to the next. That aside, I'm sure its a great riding boat. However, I know some of the older Baja fishing boats did not feature a "self bailing" hull. Very very very bad idea for an offshore fishing boat. If this is not a newer boat that has the "self bailing" hull, I wouldn't even consider it for the gulf.. just my $.02.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts