2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I purchased a Jabsco Max something or another 4.3gpm baitwell/washdown pump, it has a built in 50psi pressure switch. After 1.5 trips the pump gave out. I figured I just got a bad pump. The store I purchased it at (boaters world) swapped it out for another without a receipt even, and talked me into the $45 Extended Service Plan thingy. Well, another 1.5 trips and the new pump has quit in the same manor as the old one. They let me swap it out for another model under the ESP, (I now find out that the ESP that I purchased is not only transferrable to the new different brand pump, but it wouldn't cover an even exchange either, I'd be required to spend another $45... so, I got the 3.5gph Flojet this time. I haven't installed it yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with Jabsco pumps or these combo baitwell/washdown pumps in general?

I have all new 12guage wiring with soldered connections. The pump is running through a cycle switch rated for 15 or 20 amps with a 10 amp fuse on the line. The one thing that may be causing an issue is my motors charge between 13-16.5 volts. From a previous question I asked about that, its not unheard of, especially for Mercury's (mine are older model Forces).

anyone have any experience/suggestions with this?
thanks,

-andrew

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
My experience has been that longevity of bilge mounted bait or washdown pumps is related to how the pump is installed. Make sure the pump is installed in a vertical position with the electric motor on top. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Re Jabsco pump

You never said if the motor was gong bad or the switch failed, or the fuse was blowing. If you do in fact have 16.5 volts in the battery it will cause the pump to draw more current.

Charlie

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor failed.
The pump is mounted with the pump on top and motor on bottom, in a dry area, only 2' from the sea-cock.
my volt meter, the boat's meter, and the meter on the gps indicate that the system voltage is 13.2-16.5 It varies, I'm not exactly sure how a stator coils know when and how much juice to supply..

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Lordbater

Guess the additional voltage could cause the problem but I think not. May be a bad batch or run of motors thats happened before. With more voltage it would run faster and draw more current but should survive.

Charlie

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
man I had those things go out so often I gave up and went back to the trusty 5 gal bucket on my washdown pump. But as Valkyrie notes mount in a vertical position...my bait well pump is vert comming off the sea cock,but my wash down is horz. and fed by a hose.
I have had to replace the bait well pump only three times in 8 yrs of service and at least 6 times for the wash down pump.
I don't think that 16.5 volts would hurt the motor it would seem that would be within the operating limits, it should say some where in the paper work.
joker

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
For what its worth. I have a Flojet installed (horizontally) about 2 yrs ago for a dedicated washdown pump. I have had 0 problems so far. I often forget to shut it off and it runs a lot. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the tips..
I'll look into that groco WHEN this one quits..
a

1 - 9 of 9 Posts