2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone use this company?..we fished the ROC and on sunday we had a big dolphin on (40-50lbs), got it up to the boat , and it broke the hook ................the ballyhoo was a double hook rig with the eye of the second hook was attached to the bend in the first hook...the second hook broke off just behind the eye

·
Registered
949 Posts
Mixed results. The quaility of the bait is excellant IMO. You can drag them all day with a skirt and they seldom wash out. I'm not 100% sure I'd rely on them in a tournament, maybe in a pinch.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There squid and b-hoos are the best out there. You are a big boy so tie your own hook!LOL

·
Dick - 1972 Formula 223
830 Posts
Eric said:
Mixed results. The quaility of the bait is excellant IMO. You can drag them all day with a skirt and they seldom wash out. I'm not 100% sure I'd rely on them in a tournament, maybe in a pinch.
Eric,

It sounds like you know of a place to get better Ballyhoo. Where would you get Ballyhoo you would rely on in a tournament?

As far as I know, Baitmaster is as good as it gets. It's certainly better than anything I can buy locally.

TeamJefe,

I don't think your problem is the Baitmaster 'hoo's, I think it's the double hook rig.

·
Old ******
4,526 Posts
Never had a problem with any of their stuff and we use it nearly every tournament (B-hoo, big squid and ribbons). Lately they are zero-balance on ribbons and say they don't know when they will get more since the area they get them from is now off-limits due to NASA and Homeland Security.

I never bought the double-hook rigs but the singles work very well for what we are after.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think the bait quality from baitmasters is great. Its the rigging that I don't always trust. Buy the ballyhoo from baitmasters and rig it myself is my perferred method, but sometimes either you run out or don't have time to rig a bunch.

·
Registered
751 Posts
We have lost a big dolphin as well a few years ago on that same double hook rig. The second hook broke off when the fish jumped. Great bait but better if you rig yourself. That being said, we strictly fish the single hook rigged baits now. But those are dull hooks and you better spend some time with a file on the them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts