2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experienced baitcasters out there??? I am interested in baitcasting. I am thinking of a low profile reel (maybe a Garcia black max) and a 5'6" pistol grip rod. Does this sound like a good system?

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
When I first started fishing bait casters I hated them. But mostly because I was buying cheap setups that are hard to cast for a beginner. Once I decided to go all in and buy a quality reel, it was a night and day difference.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I'm not a fan of pistol grip rods. If for bass fishing, maybe, but if I'm working lures for 6 hours, the pistol grip would get uncomfortable on the finger. That said, the length - 5'6" is a bit short for me (EDIT - I fish with nothing shorter than 6'-3", mostly 6'-6" or 6'-9"). For the other part of your question, I would also suggest you look at Lew's. Their reels in the $200 range are pretty hard to beat when it comes to ease of casting and using brakes to all but eliminate backlashes. After years of using Shimano reels, I switched a few years ago and the Lew's longevity has proven better than the last three Shimano reels I bought and the Lew's cost less up front.

·
Who said that was spicy?
1,791 Posts
Pistol grip 5’ rods with an Ambassador 5000C and 12lb Stren was the setup in the early 70’s for bass fishing. I haven’t seen a pistol grip rod since those days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So many variables to answer your question. In general though the black max is not one I would get. Low end quality reel...Shimano SLX for $100 or less. The adjustment features on this reel work much more accurately compared to the black max.

But what are you fishing for, how are you trying to fish etc. That will clue people in a little better as to what would be a good starting setup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So many variables to answer your question. In general though the black max is not one I would get. Low end quality reel...Shimano SLX for $100 or less. The adjustment features on this reel work much more accurately compared to the black max.

But what are you fishing for, how are you trying to fish etc. That will clue people in a little better as to what would be a good starting setup
I am hoping to get into bass and walley,,, I have 2 spinning and 1 spincast and they are great,,, but I really want to try baitcasting and become more ,,,,,, precise?? and try for specific species. I also notice that some people put monofilament line one the tie braid,,, is there a reason for this? I appreciate your time and response,, old dog trying to learn new tricks

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I also notice that some people put monofilament line one the tie braid,,, is there a reason for this? I appreciate your time and response,, old dog trying to learn new tricks
Two things people are doing with mono or fluorocarbon line. First is as a backer. This is where you put some mono on the reel first, before tying the braid onto that and topping off the reel with the braid. Some do this to save on braid, some to get a better grip on the spool (braid can slip). The other is to add a leader to the end of the braid. This is done with either mono fluorocarbon. It's done for various reasons including as a shock leader, to be less visible, to be more abrasion resistant, or to allow easier or better knots when tying on the lures than one gets with tying lures directly to the braid. But many tie directly to the braid. It's a preference thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two things people are doing with mono or fluorocarbon line. First is as a backer. This is where you put some mono on the reel first, before tying the braid onto that and topping off the reel with the braid. Some do this to save on braid, some to get a better grip on the spool (braid can slip). The other is to add a leader to the end of the braid. This is done with either mono fluorocarbon. It's done for various reasons including as a shock leader, to be less visible, to be more abrasion resistant, or to allow easier or better knots when tying on the lures than one gets with tying lures directly to the braid. But many tie directly to the braid. It's a preference thing.
Thank you for this info,,, I usually use a steel leader because I have had the experience of Pike and Muskie will turn and their teeth are such that they cut the line ,,,so basically I should start with monofilament to practice and gain experience...then switch to braid. But keep mono on the base of the spool as a sort of cushion...a lot of good advice here

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Thank you for this info,,, I usually use a steel leader because I have had the experience of Pike and Muskie will turn and their teeth are such that they cut the line ,,,so basically I should start with monofilament to practice and gain experience...then switch to braid. But keep mono on the base of the spool as a sort of cushion...a lot of good advice here
I'd go with braid from the start with mono backing. Braid has a few advantages. Choose the strength based on diameter. There are online tables comparing the diameter of mono to braid. 12 lb mono has the same diameter as 25 or 30 lb braid. The sensitivity of braid is a clear advantage.
For a leader, there aren't a lot of toothy species in Texas, but I'm not sure where and for what you plan to fish. But for leader, Mono is clearer, fluoro is more abrasion resistant - as in for oyster shell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd go with braid from the start with mono backing. Braid has a few advantages. Choose the strength based on diameter. There are online tables comparing the diameter of mono to braid. 12 lb mono has the same diameter as 25 or 30 lb braid. The sensitivity of braid is a clear advantage.
For a leader, there aren't a lot of toothy species in Texas, but I'm not sure where and for what you plan to fish. But for leader, Mono is clearer, fluoro is more abrasion resistant - as in for oyster shell
Thanks for this great info! I'm so looking fwd to getting started

1 - 15 of 15 Posts