2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going fishing this weekend for sharks in the surf and im wondering what type of bait to use for bigger sharks and how to rig them on a leader and what type of leader would be best to use any ideas will be greatly appreciated lemme know thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Don't know what size sharks you're after, but two greats baits for the larger sharks are stingray (preferably cownosed rays) and gafftops.

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
Whatever is in the surf where you're fishing is the best. Everyone likes rays, but last time I went I soaked a ray for 2 days that didn't get touched and had 3 huge hardheads bitten up to the head (don't ask me why the hook didn't bury). Take some shrimp or fishbites and catch whiting and hardheads most likely. Toss the cast net and catch some small mullet, croaker, or whiting and rig them up live and see if you can catch some jacks or skipjack or something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok well we will be down at surfside tomorow morning im not sure which access road it is at but its by the big tower back to right of it down the beach in a primer grey 4x4 blazer an old one thanks all

·
On the hunt for Pez Gallo.
591 Posts
best luck to you man, i've never caughten any sharks on gaftop. i've always thrown mullet, or mack and it seems to produce. gotten many bonnet head on shrimp as well, and as far as riggin them. a nice steal leader with at least a 12/0 circle hook through the head and a stinger in the anus of the bait (stinger= #1 treble droup a' loup, feeding through the eyelet of the hook and leader). good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts