2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find cigar minnows or spanish sardines in spi or isabel tommorrow night or early friday am? last time I was down I didnt find squat except for "squib".....

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have a friend from Harlingen that buys bulk boxes for cheap in Port I for me once a year. I will get in touch with him and post up the name of it tomorrow. Sorry I dont remember off hand.

·
Registered
292 Posts
SPI Bait

The Academy in Brownsville sells all of the above and some ribbon fish that are huge

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, seems like kingfish seafood is the place to buy boxes at wholesale prices problem is they keep normal hours. I have seen the academy stuff and it is high as heck and looks pretty bad...at least the cigar minnows looked like stone age relics. Kingfish seafood is in port isabel on the steet by one stop (take a right).

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Bait

Check Wal-Mart in Port Isabel. They have baits in the back of the store in the fishing area.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
That is the place, kingfish seafood. Huge squid, excellent selection of ballyhoo, ribbonfish, minnows, herring, mullet.

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
Kingfish Seafood is on Champion Ave., the street before Quick-stop. I've heard that R+R bait shop (next to Quick-stop) is stocking more baits. There's also a little bait shack across from Quick-stop that often has fresh ballyhoo. The last two might be open late or early enough. I think Walmart quit stocking bait.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Offshore Bait Sources?

The Walmart definetly stopped. I have purchased bait at the kingfish but they do not stock cigar minnows. I have seen Pacific Mackrel, Roe Mullet, thread Herring, Squid and Menhaden there. He could order us some if we could get enough people so we could buy a pallet (500lbs). The stuff they sell at Academy looks freezer burned. The stuff academy and walmart was selling is coming from Bee something with a distributor in Arroyo City according to their website. The Kingfish is a processing stop for longliners. Anybody know of any in Galveston or Freeport that might be good sources for bait?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.