2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I guess this is a bit hard since I don't have a camera to take a picture of it, and I've looked all over the web trying to answer this, but couldn't find anything about it..

Anyhow, I was on PINS this weekend, and on saturday evening there was these bait fish all over the wade gut/first gut, they were so thick busting on the water that it looked like it was boiling. They were up to around 6/7 inches in length, and were thin, shaped like a foot ball, and most of them had a black spot around their tail..

i guess this might not be the most descriptive of posts, but if anyone is able to shed some light on the subject, it'd be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Atlantic Bumper

Probably Atlantic Bumpers.

Grey Back, silver sides, yellow forked tail like a Jackfish...sound like what you saw?

Around the piers in Corpus everyone calls them S**t shad because they arn't good for S**t. They are OK live baits for kings if you can't get anything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea more nlike kingkilla's description, really couldn't get anything to take em whole as bait, but as cut bait on smaller rods was nice for small reds/some trout/lady fish(skip jacks i guess you call them here)

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
The black spot on the tail is what is throwing me off.

They didn't look like the pics below did they?

The top pic are scaled sardines and the pic below is a finger mullet

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nah not either of those, it was pretty crazy though because they were so thick, I'd be able to get 3+ dozen in one cast as well as a dozen skipjacks amung them, was most bait/fish i've ever seen in one spot before hehe

·
Registered
437 Posts
Kingkilla sounds right...

Being in the surf, the large school, football shape, and the spot on the tail reminds me of a bumper. Try looking up Chloroscombrus chrysurus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya these are it

Thanks a bunch for all the help, I've caught these before in the surf in my cast net, but could never figure out what they were, and it was pretty amazing to just see hundreds upon hundreds of them busting in the wade/first gut along with ladyfish (guess you call them skipjacks here, but I grew up in Florida so used to calling em lady fish :p)

thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts