2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have them every year, but this year they are really bad. What can be done? It is impossible for me to spray that high up in the air, so I would have to hire somebody to do it. Plus it would be a heck of a lot healthier for me. Couple of questions.

Should I do anything?
Do they hurt the tree?
If I treat one tree and there are more in a tree 25 feet away are they going to infest the tree I just treated?

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
I have this tree right by my pool, never knew what the heck it was, it too was getting eaten up with the bag worms. I kept spraying and spraying it, the worms moved up to the top. One spring I decided to soak the trunk of the tree with poison and also the ground around the trunk........come to find out its a mulberry tree and all of a sudden I had mulberrys falling all around the walkway of my pool and also into my pool.......I quit spraying immediately.......lol

Something you might try.....I learned my lesson about killing them worms, now I let 'em eat all they want although I do spray the lower portions of the tree and keep 'em up towards the top of the tree.

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
I've got 5 Pecan trees and they all get the web/bag worms. when they get bad I give them a good coat of fire. I have a 20' or so Aluminum pols, tie a rag on the end, soak w/ deisel and fire away. The green leaves won't burn, and the web will melt away. don't stand right under the nest, thou - you will get burning worms falling on you. Sprays will kill the nests, but you will still have the web bags in the tree. This summer I was treating them about once a month. If the weather is dry, they seem to get worse. As for the question of how bad are they for the tree, I am not sure. They eat the leaves and spoil the nuts, so if they get really thick, they may hurt production, but I am not really sure. As far as nut production goes, there is a hull worm that is a lot worse than the web worm for the nut, and I am never sure if they are in the tree until the nuts are almost ripe.

I have thought about trying to set up a weekend bussnes treating & Grafting pecan trees, but I am not sure if the City would like me burning trees.

Jerry

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you have web worms, they won't hurt the tree, they are just ugly to look at.
We have about 200 pecan trees and get them from time to time. They don't affect the harvest or nut production. If you have them real bad to where you are losing leaves, you may need to get someone to spray them.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
They are everywhere. My Old Man used to burn them too. They have their place in nature. Chewing up some leaves should encourage some new growth. If they are just here & there, I'd live with them for now. A couple of good storms will open those webs and the birds will do the rest....

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
bag worms or web worms???......................................later,Dave

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
i feel the same about web worms as legate feels about stingrays! they REALLY get to me. if i dont kill them, they come down and get on my back porch and munch on my plants. i bought a sprayer that hooks up to my water hose at walmart a couple of years ago. i dont remember what the name of the spray stuff was, but it listed web worms on the bottle. just put some in the sprayer and hook it up to the hose. it sprays 20 or 30 ft i think, and sometimes i stand on a ladder to get higher. the ones above that i TRY to ignore. ill be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone has some good solutions.

GOOD LUCK
trudy

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Hey Trudy, I found some stuff that kills the web worms but nothing else. It gets on the leaves, then when they eat BLAMO thats their last supper.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blue Water Ho said:
Hey Trudy, I found some stuff that kills the web worms but nothing else. It gets on the leaves, then when they eat BLAMO thats their last supper.
Thats what I need.....the BLAMO stuff! LOL

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Ok let me find the bottle a see what it was called. I know this works on web worms, but I dont know if web worms and bag worms are the same thing?......................later,Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was always told you have to cut out the limbs that have bag worms and burn it. It make it tuff on big tree to get them out. I know if you don't get them out of the tree the next year they will be worse. I've got the in my pear trees a few years back and have them the next but after cut out the limbs and burning I haven't had them since. Also A good cutting and ringing will bring on a good crop next year. I do know if you give your pecan trees a good beating in the spring you have a bumper crop.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Webworms and Shuckworms

Webworms dont usually do much damage. It is the Hickory shuckworm that stings the half grown pecan that really does the damage. They used to have a chemical that would kill and prevent them, but it got banned 10 or so years ago. Everything we have tried in the past 10 yrs just aren't effective, basically a waste of time. Breaking out the giant pressure sprayer for the three recomended sprayings, dragging it around the yard and then haveing little or no results is dicouraging. We just let nature take it course, and every 3 or 4 years we get a good crop. We used to have one of those "snapper" type frog gigs that my grandpa used to do the rag and diesel fuel thing with, it was the only thing that worked on the webworms. They weave such a tight little canopy of webs that most sprays dont penetrate in them to the worms, and only something that will leave a residue on the leaves that will poison them when they eat it will work.

Later
R3F

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Bagworms are totally different from webworms. Bagworms attack junipers and abrovidas and use the leaves to make a very tough casing to live in.

There are systemic products that will work on webworms, but they'll get in the nut as well.

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
Blamo

Is probably Bt, Bacillus thuringensis. Usually sold under the name of Bio worm killer or something close to that. It is a bacteria that affects caterpillers and stops them from eating. Some strains sold as "mosquito dunks" for ponds and stagnant water. Esentially harmless to humans.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Bagworms

When I was a lad, and bait was hard to find to fish farm ponds, I used to pull the bagworms off a cedar tree and "peel" and use them. Perch and catfish would eat them, but on a scale of 1 to 10 they were about a "4". They even came in their own individual wrapper! Only used them as last resort. Earthworms, grasshoppers, and yellowjacket larva made much better baits!

Later
R3F

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yellowjacket larva

Red3Fish said:
Earthworms, grasshoppers, and yellowjacket larva made much better baits! Later R3F
R3F,
I'll go get the gear together, and I'll leave the bait gathering to you!

My grandpa and I used to use maggots for crappie and catfish in his tank. They're cheap and easy to get, if you can get past the smell.

My pecan trees haven't had the web worms too bad the last couple of years. I too, use the burning rag method.

Later guys......Q

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Brewgod said:
Is probably Bt, Bacillus thuringensis. Usually sold under the name of Bio worm killer or something close to that. It is a bacteria that affects caterpillers and stops them from eating. Some strains sold as "mosquito dunks" for ponds and stagnant water. Esentially harmless to humans.
Exactly. The stuff I used is made by Green Light and its called BT Worm Killer. If you have a pond or dog water cover or remove it. Next put it on in the evening, day light effects it. Well the directions are on the bottle. It should be available at home Depot or Lowes. I only had to treat the pecan tree once, and they have not returned since or on other trees. I hpoe this helps somebody out there....................................later,Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.