2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been an interesting week down here in God's country and the fishing has been good. Higher than normal tides have scattered the fish somewhat but when you finally locate them, the action is good, bordering on fantastic.

With the advent of rising tides, my thoughts have been relentlessly pulled toward the south to one of my favorite fishing areas. 9 Mile Hole aka. the Graveyard or The Hole, is a huge isolated dense grass flat with an average depth of less than 2 feet. Its a lot easier to cover these days with more water and the beauty of gin clear waters and sight-casting opportunities is irresistible.

If you happen to go there, make sure you are aware of the mandatory No Prop Zone and only run your motor in the running lanes and along the east shoreline.

I fished a couple of days in The Hole and had tremendous success on redfish and a few solid trout. When my newlywed clients Carl and Lori showed up for our charter, I knew exactly where I wanted to go.

Carl was interested in trying for a trophy trout and I told him he was in the right place. We hit the water early and headed for some deep rocks to try our luck at picking up a big girl on a topwater.

Lori was a little inexperienced with topwaters so I helped get her set up and showed her a simple retrieve. She took to it real quick and managed a solid 22" trout just minutes into the trip. Nice fish Lori.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More......

We made a few more drifts and had some spectacular blow-ups from myopic trout because we just couldn't seem to get hook-ups. We hit a couple more spots looking for that early morning trout bite and managed to put several more in the box including a twin 22"er that Lori picked up on a rootbeer/ red glitter assassin.

At around 10:00am I couldn't stand it anymore and we headed off to The Hole for some redfish action. Lori had mentioned that she wanted a good pull from a big red and I was determined to make that happen.

We made the long run and set up for a drift. Things started off slow and we had very little action on the first drift. However, when we set up for drift number two, things started to heat up. Lori struck paydirt first and got her wish when a 25 1/2" red slammed her weedless gold spoon. A hearty struggle followed and she landed this beauty sore forearms and all LOL.

Fish On

Lori's personal best redfish

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More.....

This was fast shaping up to be Lori's day but Carl finally showed up late for the dance but made up for it with a flurry of solid hook-ups. In no time at all, Carl and Lori had their limits and even released some nice keepers. Her is Carl's best of the day and the biggest of the trip, an outstanding 27"er.

The fight is on.

Solid catch

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More.....

Gotta love it when a couple begins there new life together with a fishing trip. And when she has the better day it sounds like a good omen to me. Happy to see these folks get things started on the right foot. Here are a couple more pics of Lori putting a major hurt on the reds.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts