2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After our wild night in Baffin, it was hard to think that it could possibly get any better. Captain Danny Gonzales and I discussed just that possibility that afternoon. The conditions were virtually the same as the "Night of a Lifetime" and neither of us had a charter the next day so we decided to see if it was a fluke or not.

We hit the ramp a little before 4:00am and headed to the happy hunting grounds. The winds were light but slightly stronger than the night before. We anchored in virtually the same spot and headed opposite directions.

We fished for about 30 minutes each with little action and no fish to show for our efforts. Then, someone flipped on the switch and the action was furious and nonstop.

As happened the night before, it seemed like every blowup was a big fish. I had back to back 25"ers and ended the night with 8 trout over 20". Topped off by a healthy 29" sow that gave me a run for my money and nearly straightened the hooks on my Super Spook Jr.

Danny was having at least as much fun as I was and his tally was 13 over 20" with big fish 27 1/2". His black/chartreuse she dog was severely battle scarred by the time the night was over.

The bite extended thru the early morning hours and Danny put on a clinic catching big trout after big trout on topwater.

I switched to plastic and soon hooked up with that "State Record" trout again. You guessed it, it turned out to be a 27" redfish like it has been for the past 2 years. Some day its going to be that trout, I hope I can handle it when it happens.

Needless to say the night fishing has been phenomenal to say the least. Beating the mid day heat has been great and I think Capt. Gonzales would agree.

BTW, all fish were released to fight another day except for 2 that were injured too badly. Nothing feels better than to watch one of those big girls swim away vigorously after a long fight.

Had a great time as usual and look forward to a little more of this night time fishing this summer. Later, Aubrey

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Aubrey - Take a look at the solunar table, we had moonrise on the 14th at 3:53am and on the 15th at 4:39am... powerful stuff, especially when you are heading into new moon! EJ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts