2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post after reading some pretty interesting and helpful postings for the past couple of months.
Let me start out by saying that I'm a new boat owner as of early March this year. I have fished Baffin with a friend of mine, and also once with guide Byron Hough. I'm 30 years old, and hope to someday be a part time guide in the future.

A little background, on May 31st of this year, my wife and I went out to Baffin to fish Penascal, and the Tide Guage Bar with absolutely no luck. It was about 12 noon, and I was ready to call it a day, but wanted to explore a spot for next time. So, we headed to a spot on my map called the North Rocks. We stopped and fished while, and my wife missed a hook up with what seemed to be a nice fish, but still nada. That's when I noticed a boat with three guys having a grand ole time not too far away from us--with hookups cast after cast. I could see they were fishing with croaker, and I had a handful left (and was desperate) so I eased up a bit closer to see if I could get some action. One of the gentlemen waved me over to their location (I guess it didn't hurt that my wife had a bikini on). He said just anchor up here, and cast to that rock. So we did. Turns out he was a pro guide named Joe Miles out of Flour Bluff. About five casts in, I hooked up my largest trout ever! A 27" beauty! Joe congratulated me, and said something to the effect that that's what it's all about. Turns out, they had their limits of trout already, and were trying to hook a few more reds. Anyway, it was a hoot. My wife also caught her personal best 24" speck a few casts later. We ended up with 2 more (20" and 21"), and a 25" red to boot. Then ran out of bait and headed home.

Now to my report for the 26th of June. My buddy and I went to the same spot, and ended up with 14 quality trout in about 4 hours. He caught 6 total. His personal best 24" to go with 1-17", 3-20", and 1-21".
I caught 8 total. 1 each of 17", 18", 19", and 21". Two @ 20" and two more just over 25". I figure since there were two of us on the boat, it was ok to keep both the 25's. Besides, the first one was on ice, and the second was very deeply hooked. All were caught with free line croaker in about 5 feet of water. The winds were dead calm to 5 mph, and there was an abundance of baitfish around. Water temp 83 degrees and pretty clear.

So, in two trips, thats personal bests for everyone on my boat! And a total of 5 trout over 24" and 14 total over 20"!

A note about the trip on the 26th, there was a group of waders not more than 200 yards from us (so close we could hear their conversations) that didn't catch squat (maybe a few small ones). Goes to show that only a few feet can make a huge difference! My thanks goes out to Capt. Joe Miles for his extreme courtesy in allowing me to stumble across this wonderful location. And some more thanks to Capt. Byron Hough for teaching me how to free line croaker.

Sorry for the long post. Next time will be shorter and much more to the point. Just wanted to give you guys a background, as I plan to be a regular.
Thanks.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
warcat great story if you are in the Aransas pass area drop us an email are call we will take out the Lobo express and chase a few.
Lobo Jim 361-758-6993

·
Banned
137 Posts
Yeh, great report. I caught my personal best trout on the 1st of this month in the boliver pocket. She was 24" and 4lb. 9oz. I was fishing a live shrimp under a rattle/popping cork and had a small bite, reeled it in to see the middle of the shrimp bitten out, but the head and some of the tail were still there, so I cast back to the same area. Waited about 10 seconds, and just as I started to pop the cork it went under. I got her to me pretty quick, but as soon as she saw me she made her run! It took about 5 more minutes of playing her to get her to me, and then a few more minutes to get her wore down enough to get a hand on her good. And, as you said, a few feet can make a difference. About 200 feet from me a guy was hooking up on just about every cast. He called me over and shared his spot with me, even shared his shrimp when I ran out. I caught a few more small specks, but only took home 3 including the big girl, as I had planned to grill them for the 4th. It was my best day ever fishing the pocket, though I've only fished it maybe 4 or five times. I'm still learning it. Thought I'd share.

Juan

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LG,
The best fishing days ever @ any spot are what I strive for. The only thing with that is that topping your best day ever gets harder and harder! But its loads of fun trying! Congrats on your pb, and keep on pluggin. By the way, I read another post of yours, and noticed you don't have a boat. I used to be boatless also, and spent lots of time standing in water casting to nothing. Buying a boat was one of the best things I've done. That's not to say that just having a boat is the answer..., but the boat, and a guide hire here and there (and a GPS) is pretty close. Maybe someday you will break down and get yourself some mobility. From your postings, it sounds like you really enjoy fishing, and a boat will only increase the fun and memories. I bought mine brand new, and it costs under a couple of hundred a month (I financed it forever). Just something to consider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts