2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Baffin at night 7-14-04

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  allicat 
#1 ·
Midnight came and we loaded up the boat with all our gear, topwaters ready to go, swapped out the costas for headlights, and strapped the stingray boots on. Let’s just say that we were a sight to behold. :biggrin: I still wasn’t too sure about all this but away we went. No turning back now. Aubrey’s Dad was the first in the water and he said to us greenhorns still in the boat "Are yall gonna fish?" Then he took off into the darkness. Meanwhile, I’m still waiting for Aubrey to break out the night vision goggles and convince myself that this isn’t going to be spooky. A few minutes later Aubrey, Dad, and I eased into the water and slowly made our way into the unknown. :eek:

There was so much phosphorescent algae in the water that every step we took would set off an eerie blue glow around us. Two casts later I hear a splash and Aubrey is hookup. What a sight! The water lit up and the entire battle could be followed by the blue glow as the 23 inch trout swam and splashed throughout the water. An incredible sight; one that I’ll never forget.

With such a huge playground waiting to be investigated we decided to split up. Aubrey went one direction and Dad and I the other. After an hour or so of chunking topwaters I feel the tug of something at the end of my line. I’ve got a fish! Even though it turned out to be an undersized trout, it was a thrill to catch in the dark. Many times throughout the night I’d just stop fishing and have to take in the awesome nighttime scenery. Words can’t describe what I saw but I’ll try. Picture yourself standing in thigh deep water with a blue glow all around you, fish emitting a blue glow as they swim and jump around you, the occasional wave emitting an iridescent glow as it breaks over the shallow sandbar, the sky is filled with millions of stars and the milkyway clutters the sky, and to top it all off an occasional shooting star lights up the night sky. Simply breathtaking.

Without warning the peaceful nighttime silence was broken when I heard Dad say, "I’ve got a fish!" I look over and see the silhouette of him intently fighting the fish. A few seconds later I hear, "Nevermind. I caught my own plastic. I didn’t see it when I reeled it up and thought I had hooked a good one." :rotfl: Later on he redeemed himself by hooking onto a respectable 21 inch trout.

The excitement continued throughout the night and escalated when the sun began to peak over the horizon. Slicks were popping up all around us and the strong scent of watermelon filled the air. I tossed my SuperSpook Jr. towards an area where I knew there was a slight dropoff. Click, click…..Wham! The water erupted with a violent splash. I’m not sure who jumped higher, the fish or me. Rats she missed it! Ok be patient, let the lure sit…then…click, click, click. Wham! The water erupted again as the myopic fish threw the Spook a foot into the air. She missed it again. But what a rush! A couple of casts later my lure is inhaled and I land a 22 inch Baffin beauty. Well, it didn’t take long before my Spook Jr. was being attacked again. The fish missed it on the first go round so I played the same game as before. Let the lure sit…then…..click, click, click. I see a monster swirl in the water and then the lure goes flying into the air and lands straight up and down like a cork bobbing in the water. Now what? I wait a few seconds then worked the lure real slow. Whoosh! Third times a charm! The 23½ inch trout jumped out of the water as she made contact with the hooks. The trout were feeding so aggressively that every attack on my topwater resulted in a violent explosion. I’ve never seen anything like it before in my life.

Aubrey’s Dad was fishing about 60 yards away from me and was putting on a show of his own. Everytime I looked over at him, his rod was bent up like a pretzel. I watched him fight one fish for what seemed like forever and when he lifted it out of the water, I knew it was a big fish. I then turned my attention behind me and sent Spook Jr. on another adventure in water that was knee deep. Again, the water violently explodes as the silver beast crashes the lure. I’m hooked up with my personal best. Aubrey is working his way towards me and I hear him offer words of encouragement as I grab the fish and put it on my stringer. I ended the day with 5 speckled beauties all caught on topwaters and all over 20 inches. A personal best of 24 inches followed by a 23 ½, 23, 22 and 21 inches. :dance:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Aubrey’s Dad saw us regrouping and came to join us. As he got closer, I could see that he had some big fish on his stringer. He also had 5 trout with the biggest measuring 27 inches, followed by a 24 ¾, and the rest were between 23 and 24 inches.

What a night to remember! Thanks Capt Black for the memories. This was one of the best fishing trips ever.

Attachments

#3 ·
Frauline, Y'all Are Incredible!

That was very well written and a great story. Wade fishing at night, Huh? Is that "Night Vision Goggle" for real? Great trip. After catching Baffin trout like that, all else seems like just a bunch of punk trout! LOL! Congratulations, CF?

#6 ·
Awesome Report......

It was so graphic, I almost felt like I was there................. Wait, I WAS there LOL. That was a trip to remember for sure. I really like the descriptions you wrote. Its impossible to describe the sights we saw that night, we'll just have to make sure everyone gets a chance to see it for themselves. Later, Aubrey

#7 ·
That's a REPORT !

Now that the cats out of the bag, wading at night ( especially during the summer) is AWESOME !.........My favorite is two people wading throwing TW's.......click,click, SWOOOSH!!!....."Was that you ????"...."No, not me"......."HANG ON!, that was me ".... :)

WTG Guys, How many more day trips you going on in July ???....lol

#11 ·
Awesome

Those are some impressive stringers you got there. Sounds like a great time. Be careful though, night fishing is addictive. LOL That was all I usually do in July and August until this year and somebody decided to break into my truck while I was out. Ive just about got my confidence back to try again. That report may speed it up some.

Zac

#13 ·
That really made for a good read, Wanda Jean ... it definitely was a great report. Thanks!
Looking forward to your next foray into the unknown and journalism. :)
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.