2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are still plugging away down here between thunderstorms and torrential deluges. Each morning I lose 1/2 a pint of blood to the mosquitoes as I prepare the boat. But thankfully, the fishing is improving almost daily. The mornings when it isn't raining are quite a sight to behold. As one good friend commented this week as I took this pic. "That right there is proof there is a God"

Fished with several memorable groups the past couple of weeks and have many stories to tell. Some are G-rated and some would make a sailor blush. Suffice it to say, I don't think one single person left here with out a wide smile on their face.

Hot baits haven't really changed much from my usual. Most of my clients are using what I have available and doing quite well. Rootbeer/ red glitter Saltwater Assassins, Redman and Dark Strawberry Devil Eyes, Red/white 4" Gambler Flappin' Shad, Plum/Chartreuse Norton Sand Eel Jr, and an occasional Berkley Gulp Jerk Shad (color don't matter) all rigged on 1/16oz Norton Screwlock jigheads have been the Go To lures this month. Topwater bite has been sporadic but the smaller lures seem to be working best with the Bone Super Spook Jr. leading the pack.

We have been spending the majority of our time in Baffin itself. Freshwater runoff has not been a major problem and we are seeing very good water conditions in the back. There seems to be a slight algae bloom over many parts of the bay but it varies from day to day and seems to be slowly dissipating.

Redfish are literally stacked up in shallow, make that very shallow water. If the tops of your calves are wet, you are too deep. Theses fish are really liking the 4" red/white Gambler Flappin' Shad on a steady retrieve over the grass. Concentrate your efforts around large potholes and make repetitive casts even if you don't see the fish.

Sightcasting opportunities are numerous and if they won't touch the Gambler, they will absolutely hammer a Gulp placed in front of them. We have been catching upper slot size fish with some topping 8 1/2 pounds. We even had two last week that were 27" that weighed 9 pounds. Here's Clifton's big catch.

We fished a multi-boat party this week with Capt. Tom Crouch and Capt. Mike Hart. The group from Houston was a varied bunch and we had expert lure chunkers all the way to novices. A challenge anytime of the year but with heavy rains the past couple of weeks we all had to be on our "A" game to put these folks on fish.

Day one found the weather fairly cooperative but not the fish. We all managed to catch fish but it was a serious grind. Capt. Hart's boat did well with the largest trout (24") and the largest slot redfish (26"). Capt. Crouch did have one oversize redfish onboard and managed a decent box of fish as well. My boat had a good box of chunky reds and trout but not much on numbers. The feeling out period went well and everyone seemed to be happy with their respective captains.

The forecast for the next day was for ideal conditions so there were no excuses accepted.

A refreshing dip in the pool and a fantastic ribeye steak dinner ended the first day. The satisfied groans from everyone when my wife offered up chocolate cake for desert spoke volumes. A "friendly" poker game ran way too late as people were falling asleep literally at the table.

We turned in for the night and the smell of fresh coffee got the morning started right. Lots of bleary eyes this time and a few were a little hard to kick out of bed LOL. We still managed to get on the water early and headed out to a gorgeous clear morning with almost dead calm winds.

In my boat, we slowly slipped into the water only a short boat ride from the ramp (can't give up any more than that LOL). Mike started the morning off with a couple of small fish and then I caught fire with about 6 solid fish in quick succession topped by a chunky 21"er.

Mike, Ben and Mike slowly began to catch on to what was happening and in short order were stringing some nice fish themselves. Ben got everyone's blood pumping when he finally hung this nice Baffin beauty.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g53dw5OXlps

After a marathon 3 1/2 hour wade, I headed back to the boat to go pick the guys up. Just as I arrived, Mike hooked up on another good trout. I didn't get a good video of it and like a dummy, I forgot to take a still pic of the fish. It was the biggest trout caught on our boat that day as it topped the 25" mark. WTG Mike.

We met up with Capt. Crouch on the water and listened to some hilarious replays of the mornings events on their boat. Most can't be repeated here due to language constraints but thay had us all in stitches before we headed to our next spot to chase some redfish.

We made a short 1 hour wade and Mike and Ben quuickly picked up three fat reds before we headed to the house. The whole gang wanted to get an early stert for the trip back home.

We hit the ramp and filleted a few fish for everyone before cleaning up and taking one last dip in the pool. (Man that felt good). Bub and Brad took top honors aboard Capt. Crouch's boat with these behemoths.

A great time was had by all and I definitely look forward to the next time this group darkens my doorway.

I took a little personal trip to Seadrift the next day to meet some good friends for a fishing trip to Capt. Chris Martin's Bay Flats Lodge. Let me tell you folks, this is one first class set up.

Chris took great care of us and the accomodations were second to none. We fished two boats with Capt. T.J. Christensen and Capt. Harold Dworaczyk. Our trip was strictly catch and release but these two guides put us on some impressive numbers of fish. Limits would have been an easy thing to take and we had trout up to 24" with most coming on plastics.

Capt. Christensen's boat had a little topwater action early and caught the only redfish for the group as well. The weather cooperated for us and it was time well spent with good friends.

To Chris, Harold and T.J., it was nice to meet the three of you and y'all are welcome at my place anytime.

Remember to practice conservation and just keep 5. Later, Aubrey

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Aubrey,,when ya start doin actual Magizine storys..?
Everytime You do a story line..
I can imagine myself there, watchin the action..:biggrin:

Eventually I'll be call'n for a BigGirl express..
till then ,.I Really enjoy the posts

Oxx..:cheers:

·
Save a Goat, Ride a Cowgirl!!!
3,388 Posts
Outstanding job Aubrey!!!

Can't wait to come see ya in a few weeks. Sounds like you got'em cornered amigo. Save some of that calm weather for us and see ya soon.

My boy is already day-dreamin, night-dreamin and sub-consciously dreamin about his first trip to BAFFIN!!!!

Wait til he reads this report.LOL

Brad

·
Registered
988 Posts
Capt. Black,
Great report as always............
I will be expecting a PM when the "time is right" for the big girls! (fall/winter/spring)
Also, expect to see me in the "hole" checking out those bottom feeders. 3 weeks to go till Rockport.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think that is the first time I've just been called Mike. The Baffin God's smiled down on us just fine. Thanks again to Capt. Tom, Capt. Mike, and to Aubrey and Karen for everything. Do you think it might be HD that brings that weather?LOL Later HM

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
Hey Aubrey....

I think I will start a magazine and just let you and CHRIS write for it! 2 staff writers!!!! I think it will be a hit.. !!!!

Like always FIRST CLASS REPORT!!!

and yes one of these days I am coming down!!! I just want the trout to be a little FATTER and it too be a little colder!

Jode

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I always scan for a Bassfreeks post and it will be the first I open. Outstanding report. Enjoyed every one I've read and even go over to the Web site for archives. Aubrey's statement about proof there is a God really hits the mark.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Awesome report! had the opportunity to meet Capt. Tom last spring on a trip to Baffin, The guy is a laugh a minute! I can only imagine what it is like to fish w/ him.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I fished Baffin Thursday July 19th with my good buddy Chris Mayo. Hung a nice 27-1/2" trout that was very heavy on a Norton Bull Minnow, Roach with Chartruse tail using a Chartruse 1/8 oz jighead worked slow and on a sandy bottom. There was some mullet in area that was getting chased that I saw - it was about 2PM in afternoon. Fish was in green water near rocks caught while wading deep. Fish was quickly released.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Very nice report as usual Aubrey. I need to make it down south one time to fish. Maybe I'll treat myself this year and go down there with Jason. Keep it up,

Jake

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,468 Posts
Hogheaven said:
Aubrey, That last pic... Ive not seen to many 3 armed men but I bet that guy could fish with 2 poles. LOL...

Great report.
HAHA, hadn't noticed that, but now that you brought it to our attention that is pretty funny, you can see the dude trying to hide, they always use us big guys to hide behind it seems

1 - 14 of 14 Posts