2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know how to tell if line is bad. it has broken several times in the last to trips. it is 65lb power pro used on a penn 9500 it broke the last time just past the reel, while reeling in a 15lb or so king fish. i know this reel does not produce enough drag to break this line. the fish was running and it just snapped, had a few other spots that look like they are getting ready to break just behind were it broke. it was baught this past january or so, has been taken on only a few trips and only used a couple of times. if you have any ideas let me know. thanks. MIKE

·
Registered
134 Posts

I purchased a faulty spool of pp 30#. I've contacted PP and have not heard back from them. I guess I'm out the $20 also. The new spool of line had a major fray 1/2 way through the spool and has broken a couple of times that it shouldn't. I really have not been very impressed with the line either. This is my first experience using it. I think I may go back to my tried and trusted BG line.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sounds like bad line

but you have to keep in mind that all spectra based lines fail miserably with sudden jerks. The tensile strength really depends on how fast the load is applied. If a small king fish hits the hook hard, with no shock absorption, the power pro will snap.

I used to wonder why the fishermen in the Pacific would take so much time and effort to make twisted mono leaders, but now I know it is for shock protection. I used to advocate using spectra "naked" (not covered up with mono), but now I don't if you set the drags for more than half the rated strength. In other words without a good shock leader I would fish the 65lb power pro like it was only 30lb. Even then the line will ocassionally fail with abrupt loads, but not very often.

-CP

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
Hey Mike,

This may seem obvious, but have you checked the inserts in your guides? Jerry gives great advice regarding JB spectra!

Don't give up on spectra, IMO it's a great tool!

http://www.ringedhooks.com/

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
good point about guides & power pro on spinning tackle.
i was wondering in theory if the point of line & reel contact may cause line wearing out. that little ring on a spinning reel really get punished when bringing 300 yds at plus 30lbs and the power pro can cut & damage it faster than mono

·
Registered
676 Posts
power pro

i purchased some 65lb power pro awhile back and it broke several times while setting the hook on small fish. i checked it at the house and it broke with very little drag. it was the white colored one. i have and still use the green 80lb with zero problems. i dont know what the problem was, but wont buy the 65lb again.

bone

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
that is funny, I have had the same power pro on some of my reels for 5 years now and never had a problem with it, It has brought in many snapper, ajs and grouper as well as some random toothy creatures on the troll. Check your guides, call powerpro and see if there are any recalls for manufacturer known defects or get everyone together and everyone email them with the lot #s or whatever #s are available on the lines box. I never use braid for trolling anymore because of its lack of stretch, I lost alot of fish due to pulled hooks because of the lack of stretch. Never have I ever broken the power pro line though, I have almost broken a 100lb class rod a couple of times trying to horse in a fish from down deep with 100lb power pro making the connection.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the line i speak of is my friends reel, but we both have power pro on several other rods with no problems. the only problems i have had is failer at the knot, which i think is my fault for bad knots. does any one know a good link to knots for spectra. also any quick tips to fishing just strait spectra to the leader, hook set and the like. thanks, MIKE

·
Registered
27 Posts
The only time I have had any problem with Power Pro is when I have had a guide insert break and the guide was rubbing and fraying the line and eventually cut the line. I have been using Power Pro for many years and have had no other problems with it.

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Ditto on the tip top guide

A crack or chip in the ceramic ring will give many mystery breakoffs before you discover it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
power pro is JUNK! I have tried it on everything from Bass fishing to offshore. I have found myself breaking off 2-3 lb bass on 65# power pro- usually somewhere FAR away from the hook (about midway between the hook and rod on the mainline- and I use a sweep on the hookset for bass instead of a "pop") for freshwater I have gone back to Spiderwire stealth, and offshore I WILL NOT use anything but the Jerry Brown (JB) lines and adhesives... Just the ease of adjoining mono to hollow braid makes it all worthwhile.. not to mention the confidence I have in a spectra thats not gonna break under half its rated weight class.

·
Kamikaze
4,627 Posts
fishinfool said:
the line i speak of is my friends reel, but we both have power pro on several other rods with no problems. the only problems i have had is failer at the knot, which i think is my fault for bad knots. does any one know a good link to knots for spectra. also any quick tips to fishing just strait spectra to the leader, hook set and the like. thanks, MIKE
Go to this site for knots http://www.powerpro.com/using/index.asp

LOL! Power Pro is junk???? Ha ha!! It can be worse than junk if you don't know the proper way to use it!!! It has ZERO "0" stretch, therefor, it will break under certain circumstances. Typically, if you use a topshot of mono or flouro, about 20 feet long, you will not experience break offs. I have 2 Torium 30 reels with the 65# Power Pro and 20+ feet of 80# mono, couldn't be happier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts