2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'd imagine a lot of folks don't pay too much attention to where the stuff we purchase is made. i know some do pay attention. but in these trying economic times, i'm going to make an extra effort to buy only american made products when i can. need to put americans back to work and possibly save some american jobs. a couple of links below...but google and there's plenty info. and i'd imagine those who read this won't buy into any global economy manure...right now, they just want to eat and pay their house note. and this effort may be counter to saving pennies here and there. but the extra change is worth the jobs saved.

http://www.buyamerican.com/

http://www.madeinusa.org/

mm1

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm with you 100% Monkeyman! I always look for Made In The USA, label. It is out there if you take time to look and there isnt that much difference in price.
Everyone should take this approach and be aware of the items origin but sadly our citizens dont give it a second thought.

·
One more cast....
11,526 Posts
John Smith started the day early,having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG),and put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his newelectric skillet (MADE IN INDIA), he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO),to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA),he got in his car (MADE IN JAPAN),filled it with GAS (from SAUDIA ARABIA)to continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA), John decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL), poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE)and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in America.

This is so true. Look at all your hunting stuff almost all of it was made somewhere else, mostly in China. I couldnt believe it camo, arrows, range finder.......

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Unfortunately, I believe everyone is about low cost and not about quality or economy. The general public will buy the same looking item for less $$ although it is less quality and made in China. Penn just sent most of their smaller reels to China to be made and I will not buy another Penn because of that. Most people will continue to buy Penn though because the price is lower (or at least did not increase like it would have had they kept it in USA). There are certain things that you just can not find made in the USA though. If you shop at Wally World, Sam's, Costco, etc you will not find much made in the USA.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are certain things that you just can not find made in the USA though. If you shop at Wally World, Sam's, Costco, etc you will not find much made in the USA.
you're right shredded - won't be able to buy everything made here. and, some foreign vehicles are built in the US so this puts our folks to work so it's hard for me to say don't buy toyota (one of the best built foreign autos on the market, imo). i'm sayin' with a little effort, we can buy a a lot more of our stuff made here.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
i agree but we don't manufacture that much anymore. in fact just because it say made in the us, is it really? more likely it is not.

·
Registered
985 Posts
...yep, it is sad. One of my friends that owns a manufacturing company for consumer good (IN THE USA) told me about a challenge he gave his employees one Christmas (and he employeed over 200 people).

He would pay employees up to $100 (towards the purchase price) for each item they bought for Christmas that was made in the USA. At the end of the season, he had only paid out less than $500. That says a lot.

Try to buy American...it is harder than you think.

God bless us in 2010.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i'd imagine a lot of folks don't pay too much attention to where the stuff we purchase is made. i know some do pay attention. but in these trying economic times, i'm going to make an extra effort to buy only american made products when i can. need to put americans back to work and possibly save some american jobs. a couple of links below...but google and there's plenty info. and i'd imagine those who read this won't buy into any global economy manure...right now, they just want to eat and pay their house note. and this effort may be counter to saving pennies here and there. but the extra change is worth the jobs saved.

http://www.buyamerican.com/

http://www.madeinusa.org/

mm1
hhhmmm.. you really think buy american will improve the economy??

when people are tight or jobless in this current economy, they dont really gives a rat's a55 about "buy american", we all know cost will be the # 1 factor. It's not about being patriotic or not, it's basically about survival and feeding the family.

·
Premium Member
15,753 Posts

when people are tight or jobless in this current economy, they dont really gives a rat's a55 about "buy american", we all know cost will be the # 1 factor. It's not about being patriotic or not, it's basically about survival and feeding the family.
We see what you think that's for sure. By the way, it is "American".

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
My woman is made in the good old USA & has been VERY expensive for marginal performance. I'm looking to trade her in for a newer model with fewer expectations. Was thinking I'll have to outsource to the Philippines or Malaysia to find what I'm looking for with just the right options. :idea:

·
I work just so I can hunt
363 Posts
I dont post here much on the TTMB but i was reading this thread and it made me think of a meeting we had at work yesterday. It had to do with how bad our plant is doin right now and this whole year. In a nut shell we control our own destiny by buying things made out of the US. Its slow and painful process were going through and bottom line is there is to much competion from around the world and it hurts us in turn. We have a great Nation but its never going to be as good as it once was until we all support our own country. I noticed the same things as Salt noticed in that almost everything we buy is made in some foreign nation for dirt cheap so companies here can make a bigger profit. God please bless our Nation and heal us. Im going to start myself in trying to buy American, sadly I have not ever gave any thought till now. Were all going to feel this crunch if not already so and its gonna hurt.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Buying American is a great idea on the surface, but does it really work (or matter)?

When the options are extremely limited and "Made in the USA" isn't necessarily a true statement anymore - it's dang near impossible to "buy American".

Was it actually "Made in the USA" or is it really just sold by an American company?
Corporations have been mis-labeling products (on purpose) and paying out settlements when they get caught and sued for over 10 years. This is not an internet rumor...this is real. Just Google "Made in USA Fraud" and see what comes up. See exact info here: http://www.ftc.gov/opp/madeusa2/62fr63755.pdf

There are loopholes upon loopholes in that techno-legal-jargon. Corporations know this, and if they get caught they don't care...it was worth it to them because the settlement is far less than the profits made by displaying a "Made in USA" badge.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

i believe that people who have lost their jobs, homes, etc. will do what they have to do to survive. not saying that buying american will work for everyone for every product. but when i see posts like the one from barnacle bill, having lost his job and having to take what he could get for $9 and change...it got me to thinking (and pizzed).

i'm saying that as far as what i purchase from now on, i will try harder to buy products (and services btw) that put americans back to work or keep them working.

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
All of these comments posted from machines, keyboards, wires, modems...not manufactured in the USA.....just a thought!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I have an old green Alladin (Stanley) 1qt thermos, you know the one with the stainless steel cup screwed on the top and a screw in stopper underneath. On the bottom it states made in Nashville, Tenn. This thing is about 35 years old and built like a tank. Noticed the same item in Academy today and decided to flip it over and check out where it's made now. You guessed it, China. I shouldn't have said the same item, cause it's obvious it doesn't have the same heft or apparent quality of the old one. Wish I knew some of the people that put their hearts into such a fine product. That hot coffee I had yesterday sure come in handy out there on the water!

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
I'm using a DELL.
**not that it's components are "Made in the USA" but at least its "Assembled in the USA"...that's as close as you can get to an American computer these days.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All of these comments posted from machines, keyboards, wires, modems...not manufactured in the USA.....just a thought!
true, unfortunately. but if we don't start supporting US manufacturers, the problem will only worsen. the US manufacturers will have to ship their operations overseas if they can't make money here, if they're going to stay in business.

just sayin' we should make an effort to buy products and service, if we can afford a little extra cost. the extra cost is providing a job for an american and maybe some benefits that the 3rd world and communist countries do not.

i think it's really sad to think about the many products we can't buy that are made in the US.
:flag:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts