2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have made a few post about not being able to cast the Citica's the way I would like. Well I one of the reels in the surf in SP so it needed a good cleaning. I did not get very far but one of the free spool bearings is very rough. I have soaked it in lighter fluid but can't free it up. The other one is very smooth. Where is the best and cheapest place to get a replacement bearing? I am curious if being in the surf is what caused to to fail early? I will know more when I tear down the other reel, that has only seen boat time. It was pretty rough in the surf it was never dunked but got plenty of spray. I also feel the entire thing needs cleaning so I will tear it all the way down. I will take my time and I think I can handle it. The only part that worries me is the level wind gear I don't see in Shimano directions on how to remove and really clean that good. It is bound to be very dirty since it is exposed. Any help on that would be great. Also all academy had here was Penn Oil. They were out of shimanos and did not have any other selection is that OK? I also picked up some shamano drag grease. Thanks

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
I would not try to replace your beairngs with "cheap" bearings. The ARB bearings might be better suited for what you are doing. They can be easily flushed and serviced. You can order the bearings direct from us 877-577-0600

Removing the worm gear is not too difficult. Here is a link that might help you with this. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see Curado, Cruxis etc...

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/fish/sac/us/en/customer_service/repair_services.html

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advise when I said cheap I was just implying not getting gouged for bearings. I appreciate the document that will help alot. My level wind does seem smooth but how does one go about getting the upgrade. If I am going to take these apart I might as well fix a potential problem that have it mess up a trip. Thanks again.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Call our customer service department to order the upgrade and the bearings. 877-577-0600. The BNT0194 bearings are around $10 each. The upgrade kit is free :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up a bearing local yesterday, I took it apart all the way to were the center gear and levelwind are all that is attached. I still have something rough feeling I can not isolate if the problem is in the levelwind or the centergear(were the handle attaches) in the directions for the levalwind you do not have to take the left hand cover off. I am not sure if it would be a good idea to put the reel back together and then adress the levelwind issue. I can not clearly tell how to seperate the levelwind gear from the center gear if any one has any tips that would be helpful. Then I could isolate what is causing the 'grind' . I also assume there is a bearing under the center gear?

Thanks
Clint

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Check the pinion support bearing (BNT2170) as this might be the problem. This bearing will not affect the free spool of your reel. This will make the reel feel rough though.

·
Banned
835 Posts
I thought I had bad bearings too.
I took it apart and cleaned it, cleaned the bearings, or tried to, and put it back together. It was still working rough. I just kept adjusting the spool and it started working great again, weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts