2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Backstrap venison I want to cook tonight either on a gas grill or in the oven. Looking for a easy recipe to cook it up. Any ideas?

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
Season it with any steak seasoning and wrap it in bacon secured by toothpics and grill. It will be medium rare about the same time as the bacon gets done... 6 or 7 minutes per side.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Get you some Shrimp, Bacon and Jalopeno's. Take Jalopeno and shrimp wrap the Backstrap around them, then take the bacon on wrap around the BS. Brochette are the best. If you like oysters you can sub the oysters for the shrimp. Surf and Turf at it's finest.

·
AKA MUNGAM WORC
753 Posts
crowmagnum medallions

If you back strap is whole marinade to your liking and grill whole strap over very hot grill.Slowly roll it back and forth till outside is chargrilled (do not overcook)Baste W/ terriaky glaze or honey butter glaze.Cut crossway into medallions and invite me over when its done.This last part is the most important.HE!HE! Enjoy w/a stiff jack & coke

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to all the fry guys and gals, but I've always thought of fried back strap, like frying a beef fillet....although you would get no complaints for frying from me.

I mince lots of garlic and rub the strap or steaks and let sit for 4 hours or so, slice jalepenos and lay on bacon, then wrap it up. I love mortons grub rub on them too, put lots and lots, cover them good. Spicey and sweet. Then light it on fire!!!! cook them hot and fast, they dont tend to dry that way.

I like grilled, but fried will do... what time should I be there?

Let me know how ya like it.

·
www.RipCharts.com
1,855 Posts
All of those recipes sound great.. I think one of the key things to follow (and has been mentioned several times above) is to not over cook it. I like backstrap (and all wild game actually) the best when cooked medium.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Like the others said.....

Hot fire and fast. Be sure to remove the membrane from the backstrap also.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Good advice from everyone above. I like to marinate mine in zesty Italian for a couple of hours. Wrap in bacon and season with coarse pepper and garlic salt. Cook over charcoal with a couple of hickory pieces thrown in. Don't over cook! Leave pink in the middle.

Attachments

·
locochon
102 Posts
cut it in round steaks and butterfly them. marinate in beer worchstersire sauce and some tony chachere's and some garlic. slice up some jalapeno jack cheese and a few green onions. stuff the butterflied slices of strap with the onion and a nice slice of the cheese and wrap in bacon. cook them in foil for a lil while then sear them on the grill. they come out awesome. the jalapeno jack really gives it a good flavor.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Chicken fry with mashed taters and gravy.

or

Leave it whole in your refrigerator in a zip-loc bag for 7-10 days. Cut it crossways about 2" thick, season and grill to med. rare. As good as any filet out there.

Or make B-strap Kabobs with shrimp. (cook to med rare)

Attachments

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My mouth is watering and then the picture of the backstrap with bacon has sent me over the top. I will try and hold out for tonight to cook it. I think I might trim it up, butterfly it, stuff it with onion or garlic, cream cheese and jalapeno. Rub it with some tony's and wrap it with bacon. Cook it over a hot bed of mesquite and drink a few beers. Serve it with bake potato and corn on the cob. How's that sound? The best backstrap I ever had was cooked by ( Borderbandit ) and it was good.

·
fish control my brain
7,737 Posts
Brown Sugar Backstrap

1 Venison Backstrap
2/3 cup Lite Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1½ tsp ground Ginger
1 Tbsp minced Garlic
Sliced bacon

Heat soy, add brown sugar, ginger and garlic and stir to dissolve sugar. Clean up backstrap and slice in filet mignon thickness. Marinate in soy mixture for a couple of hours in refrigerator. Put 2 pieces together and secure with toothpick. Wrap with bacon. Add some more minced garlic to the top. (In my opinion there can NEVER be too much garlic) Grill to medium rare. I hope you enjoy!

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Muddskipper said:
Brown Sugar Backstrap

1 Venison Backstrap
2/3 cup Lite Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1½ tsp ground Ginger
1 Tbsp minced Garlic
Sliced bacon

Heat soy, add brown sugar, ginger and garlic and stir to dissolve sugar. Clean up backstrap and slice in filet mignon thickness. Marinate in soy mixture for a couple of hours in refrigerator. Put 2 pieces together and secure with toothpick. Wrap with bacon. Add some more minced garlic to the top. (In my opinion there can NEVER be too much garlic) Grill to medium rare. I hope you enjoy!
There you go thats what I'm talking about. Now that sounds good.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts