2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this turning a few weeks ago. It's a very interesting piece of Ike pecan from down the street. The pecan tree was a 'grafted' tree with a trunk 20-24" across. The 'grafted' area is included in the turning and shows where the two different woods grew together. It's on the shelf right now drying out some more before the final finishing is done. gb

Attachments

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can see the blending of the two grafted woods in the picture that shows the wood wet. It really is impressive looking.
The black mold is a result from wrapping the wood up in a bag to slow down the drying. The wood was still pretty green even after a year of drying. Will post up some of the finishing later. gb

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
You need to show the inside of that bowl. It really looks good.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol.. Mr. Bobby threw you a curve ball! I think he is referring to a different turning that I was working on when he showed up today. This 'grafted' one is a short/fat hollow form. 3rd & 4th picture gives a good idea. UNLESS...Bobby has one of those flex lenses for a camera and can see the inside of this hollow form. 8*)
gb

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I was thinking about the bowl that was on the table. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
that is cool, will the black stay on or turn off in the process?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Glad to see your back on the lathe!!!! That is a nice chunk of wood!! Can't wait to it your finished product! Pecan dies my hands black for some reason??

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Robert....I think that dye is from the tanin in the wood. I know that any type of oak turns my tools, hands everything. gb

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Oak doesnt seem to bother me but Pecan and Mesquite are the worst. I look like i had a fight with an inkpen for a couple of days. Got me some nitrile gloves when i rember to wear them LOL.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Looking good - can't wait to see the finished product but I'll bet Trod is having a conniption right about now.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
that piece is very cool but there is a piece on his monster that will blow some minds...I won't spoil the surprise but like his sig says, It's thirsty and soaking up oil now LOL

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
that piece is very cool but there is a piece on his monster that will blow some minds...I won't spoil the surprise but like his sig says, It's thirsty and soaking up oil now LOL
I saw that and Your right it is nice!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts