2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my boat rig from the fine folks at Quality Marine this morning and headed straight for the dam. The whites were on a tear again, maybe even better than previously, if that's possible. After getting a bunch on conventional gear, went to a fly rod and for the first time below the dam really got into them on the fly.

Catching those nice whites on a fly is really a blast. I've experimented before belwo the dam and haven't done well on the fly rod...but today found the right combo. A sinking tip line, 7 wt rod, and a very small fly tied specifically for those whites there. This fly is much smaller than the typical clousers and really tore up the whites.

Ended up catching 70 to 80 whites on an absolutely beautiful day to be on the water. Great to be back out there again.

Attachments

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir....and a nod to you and your crank bait. I tried to tie a fly that mimicked that crank which mimicks the threadfin shad. Don't know if you can see it Matt, but its got some blue flash on top and light underbody....about 2 inches or less. A killer fly on the whites today.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Good report MDLRK, a standard rig for many years below the dam in mid-summer when they get line/lure shy in the clear water was a small fly cast behind a clear casting bubble.
On days when you thought there no white bass around someone could come behind you catch plenty on that rig.
The fly rod action must be a lot of fun on those big white bass.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I bet that fly would work good behind a clear puppy. I also have another lure that I use during the summer that takes more whites than you can keep when the crankbait does not work. It is another knockoff lure. I will show you guys the next time I see you. I may have to buy me another fly rod and play with those whites. That brings back old memories and it sure was fun catchin whites on a fly rod years ago.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts