2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my weekend in Aransas Pass visiting with all the family at our annual reunion, it was refreshing to get back to my home waters.

Hot reports from Capt. Danny Gonzales and a friend of mine (Mickey Kearney) had me all fired up and ready to splash the boat.

I had a charter scheduled with Guy and Marshal Sullaway and the forecast was for very light winds. Capt. Gonzales spoke of good solid catches at many of our mutual haunts and I was faced with the dilemma of trying to pick one to start with on such a beautiful morning.

Well, at the end of the day, it became evident that it really didn't matter where we went, the fish were there and very aggressive.

Our first stop was a drift over some deep rocks. Guy and Marshal threw topwaters and I opted for plastics. My first 4 casts were rewarded with vicious strikes and I landed 3 fish in just the first 5 minutes or so.

Action on the topwaters was almost as prolific as we witnessed numerous "toilet-flush" blow ups and many hookups as well. Unfortunately, few of the big girls were landed but since we were searching for the pull and not the meat, it was all good.

We agreed that we would only keep any deep hooked trout and would release all over 25". The action was pretty much nonstop for almost the entire 9 hours we were on the water and we ended the day with 8 trout in the box. Conservative guesstimate was 60+ keepers for the day. Awesome trip fellas.

Marshal managed one unusual catch when he hung a hardhead on plastic....... by the tail!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More.....

We moved several times with varying degrees of success and I managed a nice 27" trout which I quickly released while on a short wade with a rootbeer/red glitter assassin. Unfortunatley no pic since I didn't have the desire to drag her all the way back to the boat.

Soon after that Marshal redeemed himself and snagged this solid 25"+ trout. A couple of quick pics and this Big Girl was released. Nice fish Marshal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More......

Guy was quietly having a good day as he consistently landed good fish after good fish. After Marshal landed his big fish, the smack talk started between the friendly rivals. Guy set the hook on a good fish and it was looking like this one just might knock Marshal's big fish off its perch.

Guy expertly fought the fish to the boat and as he eased it aboard, we all saw that it was going to be just a little short and the family bragging rights stayed with the younger Sullaway on this trip.

This fish was also CPR'ed (Catch, Photographed, and Released) to fight another day.

It was a great day on the water and the weather gods cooperated for a change. Looking forward to doing it again real soon.

Remember, practice conservation and just keep 5. Later, Aubrey

Attachments

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Hats off to Marshal!! Ya know, most guys are satisfied just to catch one of those exotics in the mouth...glad to see there is some one else besides me that has the knack of doin' it the hard way! :D

Nice report and pics Aubrey! and Welcome Home! :)

·
Gig Em! '94
1,388 Posts
Cool trip and nice photos! Guy, I'll bet you don't mind too bad getting beat by your own son. W.T.G. Marshall!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bested again!

No problem being beaten out by the kid! It always seems that whenver a kid is on the boat, they get the best fish. Then again - the skill is evident in the expert manner in which that hardheat was pierced in the tail!

All in all it was an unbelieveable day on the water!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts