2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Colossians 3
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Al, any word or news from your sister in Florida?

AJ, how'd ya'll fare with distant Charley?

El, great to see ya'll safe. Alex sneaked up on your rear, huh?

And Bubba...Hope all is well up your way.

We got home from Mexico about 8:30 pm tonight. Glad to be back. We have had 4.3 inches of rain since we left last Sat. Sitting here watching the Panthers & Redskins in OT.

More on the trip later this week.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanx for asking...........But I have not heard from her since last night and they were expecting the worst and that was confirmed by the TV today and this evening. Based on what I saw and from being there many times I noted many buildings that were either totaly destroyed or or rendered inhabitable. At this point I rather think they don't have much to come home to. She is to returnon Monday with her Oldest Son who is also a builder living in Hickory NC

There home was a double wide constructed some 35 years ago. My mother and Step dad lived in it before they passed away and my sister and Brother-in- law took it and made major improvements. My Brother In Law was a Generel Contractor and developer back home in Pgh. and he made many safety improvements to bring it up to code.

We can only hope and pray and as we know Our Lord works in mysterious ways. So who knows?? Perhaps she was spared. Although I think that is a little "Pie In the Sky" type of thinking.

Sure do Hope that Panther "Deadskins" game was better than the Eagles game laast night.

·
Registered
678 Posts
"BACH" Home........... I do decalre............While in Mexico did you get a little education??

Bach, I mean , Really Ken!! thought all the Hombres down there were "Stump Jumpers" or Mariachi Players

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Fishman, you don't know how happy I am ...

to read that you two came home safely and that Charley didn't give your home a blast.
It is pure devastation where Charley came into Florida! Our local TVs pre-empted other programming to give us hours of live reports and then the devastation he left behind.
I didn't realize until last night how exhausted I was from worrying. As I mentioned before my oldest son, his wife, my five grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren with another on the way, live in Lakeland, Fl.
Lakeland is not that far from where the most destruction occured. I must have worried a lot more than I realized. I slept most of Saturday and Sunday AFTER I was convinced they were OK.
Then, what happened to Orlanda might well affect my oldest son. He is a manager at Mercedes in Orlando.
Drumbo, forgive me, but I've forgotten where your relatives live. Have you spoken to them on the phone yet?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Well, Yes. They live on the Peace River in Punta Gorda. The mobile home park that they live in was just about completely destroyed, their home included. As told to me if 50% or more of a park is destroyed there is no rebuilding- period!
So as of right now they are looking for a new location. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on that rule.

Communication is a problem as Cell towers are down as well as Ground line interuption, but my Sister has a Grandchild living in Bradenton and we are getting information thru her to my neice to me. We are expecting to connect sometime tomorrow.

My only hope is that their strong faith in the Lord will bring them thru this. Two of her Children are on the way. One a mechanic, and the other is a carpenter, so I am sure that they will be in good hands. My partner has also volunteered to cover for me should we need to go also. Prayers for them would be greatly appreciated.............Thanks ever so much.............Drumbo

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
You can be sure Drumbo ....

that all here will have extra prayers for them.

As for that "50%" information...I've NEVER heard of that. Of course we had a different governor back during Andrew. We have Jeb Bush now. (no, I did NOT just make a political statement, just a statement of fact)

It really sounds hokey to me! I believe the thing to do is fire off a letter to FEMA. They are the ones that have been given all the rules and regulations regarding recovery and funds for rebuilding. Seems to me that the people of Punta Gorda, homes and trailer parks alike, are eligible for FEMA's recovery funds.

We had hours of helicopter video that always started out, station to station, with showing the impact of Charley on trailer parks. For a couple of days they were reported that there were unknown dead in the piles of blown apart trailers. Emergency people COULD NOT get in for quite a while because of heaps of debris.

So, I cannot imagine, after all the footage of the flattened trailer parks, that "no help after 50% or more destruction" is true.

Please be stern with family and don't let them accept that.

Your parents are probably reaching my age and Drumbo you must believe me...at this time of life, depending on our health, we have a tendancy to just "accept" things because we don't feel up to fighting them. You may have to make sure that they don't just "accept" things.

Joyce

·
Registered
678 Posts
Actually, AJ they are eligible for FEMA and other gov.help but it is the trailer park itself that can't be rebuilt. They understand that and are able to live with it. Let no stone be unturned, My SISTER AND BROTHER- in-LAW WILL NOT BE BAMBOOZLED BY ANYONE. FEMA, CIA, FBI, NSA, or even the Little Sisters Of The Poor. My Brother-In-Law is one tough nut. Heck he might even give the Arabs a hard way to go. Again thanks for your support.

If I implied it was my parents I am sorry about that. It was once there's but they have gone on to that great Mobile Home Park in the sky. My sister is now living there.

·
Colossians 3
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drumbo

Drumbo said:
"BACH" Home........... I do decalre............While in Mexico did you get a little education??

Bach, I mean , Really Ken!! thought all the Hombres down there were "Stump Jumpers" or Mariachi Players

1 - 9 of 9 Posts