2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - Looking at a baby cat and want to make sure its an appropriate boat for the bay system I fish. I have normal fishing expectations, I am not cris-crossing west bay in 30 mph winds. I normally fish galveston/freeport How is the baby cat crossing the bay on a reasonably choppy day? coming from a 20ft boat to the BC, so looking for advice. Thanks in advance

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
I had a BC for several years and really liked it. It's a small boat that acts like a much bigger boat. I now have an SVT200 and the BC went just about everywhere The 200 goes and some places that the 200 can't go. Like all of the Tran cat boats, smooth dry ride with excellent skinny water performance. It's still a 16 ft boat, so on windy days and open water, expect to have a sporty ride.

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
620 Posts
It depends on which bay system you are talking about. West bay would be ok for the most part. East and trinity are a no go.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea I have one now. I fish mostly Chocolate, Christmas, Freeport, etc but occasionally end up in a more open bay. It does great in chop, but I definitely pick my spots based on the wind still as I dont like getting beat up on larger wind days. As long as you go slower and keep the bow up I've crossed West bay plenty with 1-2 footers. As the other guy said its still a 16' boat, although it feels much larger. From time to time I wish I had a deeper v so I could fish bigger waters, but I also love my lil boat and she does what I want.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,260 Posts
Manage expectations. Go enjoy. It's not a marriage if it dont work sell it and get something else. Start at the start then sharpen your axe as needed.

·
Former 300x / Blue Fury
14 Posts
BC is a sweet rig. A friend of mine has one with a 90 yammi 2 stroke. We have crossed east Matty in it many of times in some nasty chop. Ya we get wet but Id rather be in that BC than a 18' RFL.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
??

with that boat you'll simply need to know the wind direction, and launch on the protected shoreline of desired bay system. if southeast wind, launch at stingrees for east bay, double bayou or anahuac park for trinity, and san luis or the base of causeway for west bay. excellent fishing rig, just know its limits. :texasflag

1 - 7 of 7 Posts