2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do axis grow their antlers on a different schedule than whitetails? When do they wear their velvet off?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Axis do not all lose/regain antlers all at the same time like whitetails. At any time of year you could see axis in hard horns or in velvet. The majority of Axis bucks will be in hard horns in the summer months, but individual bucks will be at different times throughout the year.

·
1,193 Posts
Axis deer are tropical and therefore will breed when the doe is ready, Whitetails are seasonal and only breed once a year and only in the fall. That being said, then six months after the Axis doe is breed then the fawn is dropped. Eighteen months after the Axis Buck will have his first forked antlers. At the same time every year that buck will drop his antlers. I had one on my place that dropped his antlers the second week in October. This Buck was 36 in. the last sheds I found. That was 3 years ago; I do not know what happen to him. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The Axis on our land seem not to be on any type schedule regarding when then are in velvet. At any given time of the year, we see hard horns and velvet at the same time. Last year during deer season, I saw several Axis in Velvet as well as hard horns. This past weekend, all the Axis we saw were hard horned.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank yall for the info! I am going on a hunt in Boerne this weekend and didnt know what to expect. The hunt is not through an outfitter or guide so i couldnt ask them. Thanks again.

·
1,193 Posts
HCStevens
That is very close to my place, it is between Comfort and Sisterdale on Fm 472. U should see Axis, Axis, Axis they are everywhere. Put spot in the scope and shoot.

·
Gilmore Hunt Club
2,289 Posts
Good Luck, it was neat, my brother and I shot our first Axis at the end of April and his was velvet and mine was hardhorned. pretty neat. both were beautiful animals, I was after a velvet one and he was after a hardhorned and it worked out opposite, but they both were awesome bucks. Again... Good LUck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts