2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:Question: If there is a surplus of axis buck "spikes" in an area do the animals have the potential to be typical 3x3 or larger bucks in the future? Or are these animals similar to WT spike bucks where it is a possible genetic disorder?

Also what is the typical buck/doe ratio for axis?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
we've had a couple of spike bucks on our place...we are HF so we can watch and let grow...these boogers stayed spikes until they were killed, IIRC, one of the bigger ones was around 7 years old when he finally took the dirt nap...

but, you never know... :cheers:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...osoobsessed

I have been watching a herd of 15 to 20 Axis spikes and was wondering....the big boys in the area don't seem to mingle with these spike heads....and the axis does seem to follow the big boys around....I am thinking a few are juveniles....but a couple of the spikes (dominants in the herd) seem to be much older....nonetheless its always interesting to watch them….IMO very majestic animals….

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Thanks...osoobsessed

I have been watching a herd of 15 to 20 Axis spikes and was wondering....the big boys in the area don't seem to mingle with these spike heads....and the axis does seem to follow the big boys around....I am thinking a few are juveniles....but a couple of the spikes (dominants in the herd) seem to be much older....nonetheless its always interesting to watch them….IMO very majestic animals….
yup, they are some crazy but impressive critters....the meat is fantastic and the throw or rug you can make with the hide is always beautiful. :brew:

·
Registered
66 Posts
axis

I have been hunting axis since i could walk and i have noticed that a year or two old buck may have spikes but can definitely grow into a good buck. something to remember is that axis deer can live up to 15 or 16 years which is one reason to see what they are going to do. this is key to why they are so prolific, the other is the does go into heat as soon as they get close to weaning their offspring. hope this helps and have a good one.

john

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks....jhunterw13

I hear ya bout the prolific animals....shot one over the Thanksgiving weekend that had 29" horns and aged at 8 to 9 years old....read some reports that captive axis can live up to 25 years....the axis we hunt r low fenced animals but are drawn to the area by a 300 acres food plot along the nueces river....often see some other exotics in the area as well....

I am gettin on a big boy this friday AM....some on the lease say he's 40"+/-...I've seen him a couple of times and have called BS on them....but not going to argue with them till he is ground checked....I have a 31"er at the taxi-man gettin fixed up so I am hesitant to take him...I plan to study him a little more and take him if he is a trophy to me....

Thanks for all the input...

·
Registered
66 Posts
jason,

didnt see the buck to doe ratio question. but here it goes, there really is no correct buck to doe ratio, since axis are a herd animal. but contrary to popular belief axis bucks don't always stay with a herd of axis. if there are no does in heat they will travel good distances to find ones that are. they do not have a per say harem of does, they are just interested in one thing. this is primarily why during the heavier rutting months in june through august you will still see a lot of bucks without does, they are just in search mode. hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts