2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got time to post up on deer hunting. As I have read everybody in the hill country had a slow start. Late rain and plenty of acorns did not help. I was no exception. This year as the same as last I decided to be the AXIS eradicator. All of the w/t bucks & doe that I let walk last year are bigger and healthier than last (probably smarter too HaHaHa LOL). Well I got one doe opening weekend, and this past week got 3 more. So I think that is all I need. Put a lot of good meat in the freezer. Made pan sausage and hamburger, lots of steaks and will make link sausage, & buck sticks later in the year. Hope to go back later with my dad, I will be the cook and cleaner. I just have to get him to pull the trigger; he sees them but just will not shoot. Anyway here are some photos on the hunt. Sorry about the blood.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Do you ever have any openings on this place? I'm looking high & low for a place for next year & would love to find something that has whitetails and axis as a bonus. If you need any help ERADICATING anymore of those tasty pest I'll be glad to help! HAHA

·
The Camo'd Texan
520 Posts
i see axis have made it your direction bohunk, randsims (step-dad) and me should be up there this weekend to whack one of the aka. pets :D

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
WOW

Can't believe someone would say that Mud Minnow. Kinda RUDE.
Some places in the Hill country have Axis like South Texas has Hogs.
They also over power the Whitetail (the native animals) and Axis were Brought in.

·
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think you could have shot any smaller axis? Are you sure they are not w/t fawns? What a waste
Nope I could have But these are 15 to 20lbs biger than a w/t, in the area that I hunt I have killed a big bull that was 275 With out the head and guts. The photos do not let you compare the size to much, but thanks for asking, My freezer is full by the way.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Paul,

Way to go and looks like a nice haul!! Taking 30 of them off your area wouldn't even start to make a dent in the population you have on that place!!! Keep punching holes, Good Job!

·
Master of Boats
1,432 Posts
Yeah, there is not much match for an axis around the feeder. Even the auodaddies won't challenge successfully a big axis buck. I keep one feeder at the house that they both frequent, and the axis OWN that one. Occasionally a big hog comes by and trumps the axis, but certainly nothing else, and definately not a WT.

Besides, it is his place, let him shoot and manage it as he sees, no junior GW's OR biologists, whilst you're hijacking his fine thread. OK Rant over.

Nice shooting and glad you got SOME!

MM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts