2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking about the avet SX its the smallest of them all but was wondering anyone has one or a friend that has one? I would be using it on my inshore 7ft rod.....................................later,Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Avet

If you're looking to use it for casting tops, tails and such, stick with Curados, Calcuttas, etc. If you're looking for something to use with cut bait, etc. in the surf or the like, it may be worth a look. Those reels were designed for West Coasters who like to do a lot of deepwater jigging but could be used here for the same application. Spool it up with Spectra and you have a pretty powerful little reel with decent capacity. For more info, do a search on the tackle board at www.allcoast.com - tons of info there. The left coasters actually spearhead a lot of tackle innovation from which we all benefit.

Mark

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Avet

I spent last Thursday flounder fishing in the Chesapeake Bay with my nephew using one of those. It is a stout, all business reel. Drag like you would not believe and smooth as silk.

I may have to get one so I can try it on other finny critters. As TBS said, it is not for casting, (at least not by me) but it is one heck of a jigging/trolling reel. I did a little trolling with them on that trip but did not hook up with anything.

Speaking of flounder, that is an incredible fishery. The two of us must have caught 30 flounder in about three hours. Only kept two for supper but it was the best flounder trip I have ever had. The locals were chattering on the radio about how bad the fishing was. I sure would like to see what they consider a good day!

Bob

·
Registered
774 Posts
Great reels. I have one and have 'magged' it. Great for surfcasting on a 9' or 10' rod but not the type reel that you would put on a 7' trout rod. No levelwind... Very smooth and very well built (in the US of A).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts