2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Football MNC: '63, '69, '70, 2005
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried out a new Avet LX 6.0/1 gold reel this weekend after being purchased at the Miami Boat Show this past winter. The reel was spooled, but had not been out of the box since. The reel would not engage the spool when weight was on the line. Anybody else have this problem with these reels? Should we get our money back and go back for a Shimano? or is this just an isolated issue? Anything else we should look out for with these reels?

·
Get Bent
1,273 Posts
Tell ya the only problem I have had with my Avet was I let this Dip$$$$ use it on my last trip. Well he had the drag set to tight and next thing I know I see my reel skipin across the water then disapear. Yep if you have a really good sonar you might see it. One the bright side I know the fishing Gods are going to have soming really good instore for me seeings how I made such a sacrifice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Call Avet (877)487-4476, ask for customer service and explain what is happening to the reel. They have a great reputation for customer service and will make it right.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have several Avet LXs and a MXL have not had a single issue with any of them. Hopefully yours is an isolated event. I would certainly call Avet. Although I have not had any service needs, I have talked to them on a couple of instances on some new models coming out and they have been very helpful and easy to approach.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Did you set the drag on it? if you dont set the drag it will feel like it is in freespool the whole time until you set it.

I have 8 avet reels and have never had a problem, including 2 LX reels. If you cant fix it with something simple, call them, they will likely replace it for you.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Sounds like the preset knob is backed off all the way, or there is an e-clip that may have popped off inside.Very intimidating but easy to work on. Call me if any questions

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
764 Posts
Customer service with Avet is fantastic and they will make it right. If you have never even used the reel, they will likely just send you a new one. I like shimano reels, but I think the Avets are much nicer.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Snake said:
Tell ya the only problem I have had with my Avet was I let this Dip$$$$ use it on my last trip. Well he had the drag set to tight and next thing I know I see my reel skipin across the water then disapear. Yep if you have a really good sonar you might see it. One the bright side I know the fishing Gods are going to have soming really good instore for me seeings how I made such a sacrifice.
lol.

·
Get Bent
1,273 Posts
No I got one comin and DS is flipin the bill... NO WORRIES! but, that is the only problem I have ever had with my Avets..

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Snake said:
No I got one comin and DS is flipin the bill... NO WORRIES! but, that is the only problem I have ever had with my Avets..
I had a 4/0 go over the same way, only it was my little bro. I had to buy another one. Oh well!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Bevo, do you know which knob is the preset knob? It could be backed off as mentioned. Put the reel in free spool and then advance the preset button clockwise. This is how you set the drag range. Lever drags need to be preset. If you already know about this and tried it, then give Avet a call. They can be very helpful.

·
Football MNC: '63, '69, '70, 2005
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, yes I have preset the drag as far as I can turn the knob. That's not it, unless an internal part is missing. But i don't want to go taking it apart and mess something else up..lol

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
this is the preset knob, to set it, put it in freespool and tighten it, check the drag with a scale after every 1/4-1/2 turn or so until you get it where you want it at strike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts