2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of fish can you catch with a avet mxl?i'm planning on getting a avet mxl reel but what do you all guy catch with them snapper,kings or what.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never used one myself, but I would think it will work for kings and snapper just fine.

I have a JX6/3 and have caught snapper, kings, grouper to 50#. I have also caught a few amberjack, and though I have no doubts about its strength, it just doesn't have the drag to turn one headed into a rig (wonder if anything does?). Santa brought me an HX5/2 which I look forward to using provided we can still fish next year.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a lx 6.0 mounted on a custom calstar rod that i'm wait to get used next year but i want to get something smaller for snapper or kings but don't know if the drag could hold up.thats why i need some insight on either to get it or just buy another lx.

·
Registered
184 Posts
MX has a 9 lb max drag, 16 at full drag. Prior to buying the Avets we used penn 320's all the time which have a max drag of 10 lbs. and never had trouble. As far as snapper to 20 lbs, you get a couple runs of 30 - 50 ft. and then they pretty much tire out. Kings of similar size, you get longer runs, but after that they come right in. Yes it's a little on the light side, but not out of the question. You may be replacing drag washer more often then most, but I would doubt you would hurt the reel.

A typical gulf snapper in <120 feet (bottom depth) of water is going to run 2 - 10 lbs. If that's where you will be doing most of your fishing you should be fine. Likewise with your typical king. You can run into a true smoker just about anywhere, but you can always chase it with your boat. Kings fight like he** for a couple minutes but quickly tire. Now if you intend to go deeper and/or target larger fish, then obviously you are going to be out gunned with the MX. Again, the reel is near bullet proof. Your main concern is more about getting spooled by something big.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reason i 'm asking about the mxl, my buddy is selling it to me at a pretty good deal because he's upgrading to a hx 2 speeds for tuna fishing.the reels he has are lx and mxl.i was thinking a mxl is pretty good as far as a snapper or kings or some smaller fish.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I had an MXL 2 speed until it donated it to the bottom of Galveston Bay during the POINT tournament. It is a great reel and yes it will handle a pretty good sized fish as long as you are not expecting to turn a big one away from structure. Due to its size, it make a great reel for all sorts of fishing. Honestly though, I would get his LX. It is not that much bigger but has more drag.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It all boils down to what you're fishing for. If you are fishing jetties or within 30 miles of shore for snapper, kings, bull reds, black drum, the occasional ling, no problem. With finesse you will even get to see that big nasty shark that inevitably shows up snapper fishing. It will provide you many years of service.

However, if you don't even think about fishing until you get to 150+ feet of water, then yes it will probably just be filling a rod holder. Likewise if buying the reel wins you trips tuna fishing with your buddy, by all means buy it, just don't bring the MX along tuna fishing.

·
Make blood !!!
3,715 Posts
I love my mxl. I have,a couple mxl's and lx. I prefer to fish with the mxl for just about anything. It's about all you need for jigging and bottom fishing. But i've also caught some nice tuna ,aj's, and decent sized grouper too.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You'll do fine with it. Leave it home on a tuna trip, but everything else you'll be fine with it. If you need one, holler, I carry them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts