2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this reel? From time to time I like to review the reels at Charkbait.....good descriptions and reviews...plus the girl models are well, you'll see. http://charkbait.com/cs/csrAvet.htm#Avet HX 5/2 Hoo-X. One theme of the site is they are in favor of the newer (Accurate, Avet) breed of lighter but powerful and capable reels over the International or Tiagra flavors. Anyway, this reel seems very versatile and powerful. Except for my TwinSpin/Calstar rig I am pretty uninformed on extremely fine tackle. This looks like it could be my next fine reel.

·
Justified
668 Posts
I got one and absolutely love it. I loaded it up with 100 lb hollow core so i can catch anything from yellowfin and wahoo to marlin in the summer. This reel is very versatile. Great jigging real if you get the narrow version. Only downside is that it does not have an infinite anti-reverse, so if you are jigging you have to bear with the constant clicking noise of the spool...Great reel for a really good price...

Grant

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought my fiance the HXW and she loves it. It's extremely light. So far she's caught yft, aj, and grouper on it. I spooled it with 600 yards of JB 80lb. If I had to respool it again I think I would go with 130 JB Hollow. Here are some pictures of her first test drive.

·
Make blood !!!
3,715 Posts
I picked one up this past summer. I caught some nice fish on it, sal snaps, aj's, grouper, sharks and YFT. Tiny roger caught a nice jackfish on it to. It performed great. Can't go wrong with it. Nice line capacity,light weight, plenty of drag. Makes for a great set up.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regular Narrow or Wide?

For Texas....Big E trips, Capt John trips, overnighters to floaters when I'm lucky enough to get invited....which version would you buy? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have landed Black Marlin to over 500lbs with it and many tuna over 100lbs with no problems, Cast like a dream too. i would get the new Raptor version with cast control and duel drag. Good luck!

·
Banned
761 Posts
Nice fish, now pull your freakin' pants up cholo!!!

I bought my fiance the HXW and she loves it. It's extremely light. So far she's caught yft, aj, and grouper on it. I spooled it with 600 yards of JB 80lb. If I had to respool it again I think I would go with 130 JB Hollow. Here are some pictures of her first test drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts