2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you actually use your auto GPS regularly? What for?
I think Mrs. Santa is thinking that this would be a good gift but I don't think I would use it much.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I use mine a lot. Got both my kids one and they both use them all the time.

·
Proud Infidel
1,220 Posts
GPS

Its better thank you think. MEN don't need directions.LOL--
I like mine, i have the Tom Tom, won't get this brand again. I'll be shooting for a Garmin next time. Definitely worth it though especially if you have an emergency and need an alternate route.

·
Old School Proud
550 Posts
Santa brought me a Garmin 255W last year. I was a bit reluctant to use it initially but now I won't travel anywhere w/out it and its much like going out on the water w/out a GPS on your boat. I don't use it on my daily route to/from work but always when I'm going to an unfamilar area. The auto GPS have a menu to locate banks, resturants, and other points of interest. My Garmin is very user friendly and I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
i used mine A LOT. expecially for work when i was in different states. I liked it so much I went ahead and bought a radio with nav built into it so I wouldnt have it hanging in the window.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
My Garmin goes from the boat to the truck, so it gets lots of use. It's really handy for road trips. A couple of clicks changes it from marine to road use. The talking feature is great when you are riding solo, because it calls out the turns and such. I don't leave home without it.

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
I don't know how to get anywhere /anymore with out mine lol, they can be used for sooo much more than just a navigator! Nuvi 660 and i love it, getting it's update for both of my kids for ChristMas!

·
I Member Like It Was Yesterday
3,473 Posts
I'm using an older (3 years old) Lowrance Iway-350. I use it as I am a hotshot driver. The best part I like is the mp3 "broadcaster" that’s built in. Put an 8 gig chip in it and you can load 2000 songs that will broadcast over "any" FM frequency (not occupied by a local channel). I use it more these days as a juke box at get together and as long as you’re within 20 or so feet, it plays loud and clear. I recommend spending the money for a GPS that broadcast's its own signal for this reason (besides the mapping program), other than that I would try to get one that has the newer automatic updated. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
I have one built into my truck but you have to buy a new CD when you want an update. It was about $175 for the update. Too expensive to do often.
I have a Garmin that I use in my boat or wherever and I put a bluewater chip in it.
My favorite though is the Navigon app on my Iphone because I can use it anywhere. I also have the Navionics app on it for the coast. Navigon gives you audible turn by turn directions so you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I love mine. I have a TomTom and love it. I first thought Garmin was best and they did have better maps, however, with updates since I bought mine, I believe TomTom passed Garmin up for the better. My opinion. No GPS is perfect, but TomTom now has Intelegent maps which take into consideration times with history of traffic and speeds and routing at one time is different at different times of the day and I know mine works great. It even shows which lane or lanes you should be in on upcoming ramps with much detail from what I have seen on other brands. Updates to new maps are now unexpensive compared to a couple of years ago. I have year updates of 4 new updated maps per year at I believe was $39 per year. It can even guide you through traffic problems in Houston if you want to pay extra for that, which I don't but I don't live in Houston either. TomTom also gives user updates to maps from individuals that TomTom gives some abilities to make changes to your own maps as an individual and when you make a change, it can upload to others that accept these updates so that makes there maps even more up to date and I recieve tons of these updates frequently which helps TomTom more easily update their maps once they verify these changes.

I just purchased my son a TomTom for his Christmas and since he is a computer programer, he can easily work with TomTom programming language to more easily customize his unit is he choses, since TomTom uses a language he uses frequently. I don't go hadly anywhere without it even if I know the route as I can see progress in miles to go as I travel. Going to Hawaii in March and last visit, it worked flawless and never had any problems getting anywhere I wanted to go. Best thing ever came out.

My truck has GPS built in also, but at the $175 for map update per update, it don't get updated as the TomTom does. Routing works better also than in my truck.

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
Once you travel with one you will never want to be without. Garmin has the market cornered with better maps but that is always one update away from changing. Be sure you get one that calls out street names & has lots of god places to eat preloaded.

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
you cant NOT look at a map while navigating on land... That would be as bad as asking directions. How can you even consider the isea? Seriously

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
I used one for a couple weeks and the tinme it took me to enter the address I could look it up in the Kep Map and be on the way. I guess I'm old school that way,lol. Too many years in outside sales has let me be able to talk on the phone, eat, read a key map and write notes at the same time,lol. I still use the key map.

·
You mean... beyond pacifism?
1,122 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 200 here. Love it. I drive through a lot of traffic to and from work. I go down Kirby and cut through River Oaks to get to Shepherd, so comes in very handy because my route changes almost every day depending on traffic. Couldn't live without it. On long trips it sweet! I don't even look at my speedometer, just the Garmin for my speed.

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
here's some tips. buy it from costco. they have a lifetime warranty on them (you don't have to pay extra--it is their store policy). i never had to update mine, i just exchanged it after a couple of years. my previous one started fading on the touch screen recognition. costco exchanged it--no questions asked. i will recommend this though: buy 2 because after your wife realizes how good they are, she will try to steal yours. my wife has the one that tells her which lane to get in before she exits (and she needs that feature). i don't use mine for bluetooth and mp3's, but those are options you can choose from. i do electrical service work, so mine provides more information than finding fishing holes. i can input an address and tell the customer within 5 minutes (due to traffic) of when i will be arriving. there are many advantages to having them. oh yeah, i found that some of my normal travel routes had short cuts after my gps revealed them to me. after using it for a week or two, you will wonder how you ever got around before without one. highly recommended!!!

·
The Ole Reprobate
796 Posts
Simce we travel a bunch , now that I'm retired. I use my Garmin Nuvi almost all the time. If you get one be sure to get a model that you can load points of interest into.
I have Fuel stops , Walmarts , eating places , Sporting goods stores , all sorts of establishment locations that I can bring up when needed. I was slow to get one , but now I don't hit the road withou it

1 - 20 of 35 Posts