2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to an auction today near Hobby airport. Scored some really good deals on some furniture for the office. Funniest thing is things were running behind and one of the spotters was holding things up a bit and told the ringmaster "one moment this guy does not speak english" trying to get his bid.
The ring master replied "move on, English is the language at this auction. If they can't understand or speak it they can go somewhere else." I would have clapped, but I did not want to buy the piece in question.
Froze my tail off in the process.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Man we need more people like that. It's the USA learn to speak freaking English, I'm tired of pressing 1.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
I'd have given that guy a few extra bucks! Awesome to see folks standing up for English!

·
Cloudy with a bit of drizzle
435 Posts
Exactly

If you want to do business with the property owner, understand, if you cannot communicate with him, then learn his language or at least try to do what you can. It is his business and to try to work with him especially something like this, he cannot make changes for someone in this fast paced area. There is a lot of people who cannot speak English here, but they have learned enough to do business. I visit several places where English is not the main language and try my best to work with them. I was there as well and there is no way to make it easier for people who do not understand. There are enough people there who do speak English, but do not understand the auction format. Watch and learn. This auction takes long enough with the issues already. It took me a while to watch and learn before I jumped in the auction arena as a buyer. Mistakes are costly and they do not want someone to bid by mistake and then realize when they go to pay, they are responsible for it. They really work with a lot of newcomers, but are not teachers and cannot deal with every issue. Best to move on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts