2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to make my ATV quieter so I don't run off all the deer when heading to the stand?

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
Sean Hoffmann said:
Leaving it at camp completely solves your problem. :)
Ha ha- I didn'y pay $7,000 to let mine sit in camp. And on 7,000 acres, you may have to leave REALLY early to get to your blind based on where you hunt. If I remember, it's close to 4 miles from camp to blind. Closer for some , further for others.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always been of the belief that if you drive it often on the property it shouldn't scare off most deer. The buck that you're looking for typically knows what a human sounds like when he's on foot. So long as he hasn't been able to associate you with the atv it shouldn't affect you. Ever notice when you go on a guided hunt and they drop you off at the blind/stand and every outfitter says the same thing. "Don't get out of the blind/stand till I come back for you". Of course this is only my opinion but it works for me.

Disclaimer: A glass pack on your atv nullifies advice...

·
Tell yo momma and them how she durren...
922 Posts
Timmon said:
I've always been of the belief that if you drive it often on the property it shouldn't scare off most deer. The buck that you're looking for typically knows what a human sounds like when he's on foot. So long as he hasn't been able to associate you with the atv it shouldn't affect you. Ever notice when you go on a guided hunt and they drop you off at the blind/stand and every outfitter says the same thing. "Don't get out of the blind/stand till I come back for you". Of course this is only my opinion but it works for me.

Disclaimer: A glass pack on your atv nullifies advice...
They say that to keep some D.A. from wandering off into the brush and either getting lost, or wandering into someone elses hunting area and getting shot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Below are a couple of products that I've seen on the market. I don't know how well they work and have not heard any testimony on them though.

I've used ATV's to go to my stands since they first came out. Over the years I've never really had a problem with the deer being shy of an ATV. I conceal my ATV usually within 30 ft of my stand. There have been many times that I've driven to the area where I put out the corn and have seen the deer standing off in the brush watching me. On these occasions, by the time I get to my stand the deer are already eating. Last year I shot a 250 lb boar right at dawn---Hopped on the 4 wheeler and pulled it to my stand and 10 minutes later had deer at the corn. I think over time they get used to hearing them and associated it with food. Other times they hear them and nothing happens so they go about their business and don't associate them as being dangerous. I do think that A LOT of ATV activity (many hunters on ATV's riding in the woods )over a period of time (late season) will have an impact on your older smarter bucks though---and they will tend to become nocturnal. But like others on this board. I don't have a choice in the matter. My stands are anywhere from 3 to 4 miles from camp and it's rough and muddy getting to them. But the noise has never really hurt me too much. Hope this helps.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod.jsp?id=0014420&navCount=1&parentId=cat20161&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21412-cat20161&parentType=index&indexId=cat20161&rid=

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod.jsp?id=0053360&navCount=3&parentId=cat20161&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21412-cat20161&parentType=index&indexId=cat20161&rid=

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
Several of our ranch owned atv's, as well as a bunch of our guide's personal bikes, are double mufflered. It's really simple to do. Go to your local auto parts store and buy a cheapo muffler, usually about $25-$30 for one that'll fit a little import, and a couple of tailpipe 90's. Weld one of the 90's to the outlet of the factory muffler turned up, and the other 90 to the top of that one turned across the rear of the bike. Weld the inlet of the 2nd muffler to the end of that 90 and fasten it to the back of the rack or the underside of the rear basket if you've got one.

All you can hear is the tires crunchin on the ground and the valves clickin in the engine. Totally stealths the bike out. We have several bikes that are daily work bikes on the ranch and have been run this way for over 3 years. It works great!

Good Luck!

Lance

·
Registered
918 Posts
If a deer can hear you on foot, you are never going to make anything quite enough to ride where they don't hear you. Like some have mentioned ride your ATV around let them get used to it. If they see you and you aren't chasing them or shooting at them chances are the next time they see you they will just stare at you when you drive by. Been riding ATVs on all of our places for a long time and people that say they mess up deer hunting, don't know any better. If that was the case, driving a truck, tractor, having a compressor running...ect there would be no deer. Which is not the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts