2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was'nt a pretty sight but the hunters prevailed. Talley was a toal of 31 deer, bucks and does combined. Biggest was a 10 point with forked G-2's which makes it a 12, one 10 point, six 8 pointers and four 6 pointers. The rest were does. Strangest deer was a three-legged 10 pointer. The right front leg was just not there and the rack was deformed.
The funniest part was when I dropped a doe out at over 150yds. I went out, put my strap around it's neck and drug it back to the truck when It came to. Remember the scene from TommyBoy? John and I toss the live doe into his truck bed, close the tailgate and topper and head up to the other guys. Timmy opens the tailgate to pull out the deer and start gutting when everyone screams "It's Alive!". Poor deer was hit high in the back and was knocked silly but not completely dead. That doe came out of the truck bed, trying to run but couldn't. Timmy threw his 300+lb body on the doe and finished it off. OK, not very respectful of an animal but you should've seen the look on everyone's face. Priceless.

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the three legged deer with a deformed rack. Looks like the leg was there but gone except a stump. Grown over with hide also.

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's my little eight point buck. I watched him working a doe and the doe came out but I let her walk until he came out. I shot him but missed the shot on the doe.

Attachments

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
What state? I know Iowa opened this past Saturday. I am mad I had to miss it this year.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
Thats alot of deer you harvested. Why shoot so many?
Is that any of your business? It is legal and a great hunt. Leave it at that.

Way to go guys! Great pics, great feezer meat, and good times! Green to you.

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,014 Posts
I see ten hunters thats only 3 deer per person. Alot less than you can take in Texas in some counties.
True! And, even though it looks like a lot of deer, we must remember that since humans have taken over so much of the deer's habitats, we must manage them. Actually the best managers of our hunted game is done by hunters and hunting organizations, which PETA doesn't understand. They would rather the animal not be shot and starve to death.

Anyway, congrats on the great harvest and that will make a lot of great eating. It is always nice to see people enjoying God's great creations that HE gave to us to enjoy, not destroy. And hunters DO manage it better than anyone else has ever done.

BTW, isn't that area called the BIG BUCK area of the country?

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
This hunt is in Iowa (see earlier post) plus the thread title as "Corn Rats'. I know some farmers in Kansas being eaten out of house and home by the deer in the harvest months. Glad to see these guys had some fun and put some meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Congrats on the hunt. Just asking a question. Thanks for the smart*** reply essayons75. These days i dont hunt for meat. I am out for those old illusive mature bucks. For whatever reason you harvested that many, congrats on the score.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on the hunt. Just asking a question. Thanks for the smart*** reply essayons75. These days i dont hunt for meat. I am out for those old illusive mature bucks. For whatever reason you harvested that many, congrats on the score.
We have just too many deer in this state. The crop damage is unbelievable. One farmer has lost about 8 acres worth of corn from the deer. They compete with the cattle also and farmers raise corn, soybeans and cattle to survive. We have another antlerless season in January and will probably kill as many deer. Up here, no one can believe that there are people out there that actually FEED deer to make them grow bigger or better antlers. We do have big bucks here also and we look for those in bow season. Another problem is southern Iowa is where all the Outfitters sell hunts for bucks. They don't shoot does so we have an overabundance of does every year. I think there are about 6 does per buck so you know what that means if you're into deer management.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
Now that's a pile of bones!! My boss hunts in Iowa, I figured that's where ya'll were at when I seen the Shotgun. Congrat's on a good hunt!

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Plus the guys only have a week to hunt, so you need to get your deer when you have your buddies to help drive.

Tommy I hunt around the Pella and Albia areas. I am going to call my buddy tomorrow night to get run down on how this year was for them.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
Iowa Deer Seasons...

Youth - Sep 19 - Oct 4

Disabled - Sep 19 - Oct 4

Archery - Oct 1 - Dec 4 & Dec 21 - Jan 10

Muzzleloader - Oct 17 - 25 & Dec 21 - Jan 10

Shotgun - Dec 5 - 9 & Dec 12 - 20

Antlerless - Nov 27 - 29 & Jan 11 - 31

(Note: No rifles allowed)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts