2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the prefered way to attach an 8oz diamond jig to your leader ?
direct, snap swivel, etc....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Straight tie to your main line, as Cat O' Lies said, "Less hardware means less weak links!"

Leader will alter the jig actions in my opinion.

Tj

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tongkol said:
Straight tie to your main line, as Cat O' Lies said, "Less hardware means less weak links!"

Leader will alter the jig actions in my opinion.

Tj

Even a Floro leader of the same test as main line ?

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
I use flouro leaders and have no complaints on jig actions. I double line for the knot to get a 100% connection. Make sure to cinch down good and tight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not use fluoro leader on diamond jig, there no need for it, IMHO.
The flashing of the jig will trigger the attack or feeding instinct of tuna.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
newman said:
I use flouro leaders and have no complaints on jig actions. I double line for the knot to get a 100% connection. Make sure to cinch down good and tight.
When you say double line do you mean you use a palomar knot ?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I tie direct to the main line. Jigging at night, in the dark, 100+ feet down, there just ain't enough light for a fish to see any line IMHO.
If I'm getting cut off, then I go with about a foot of wire with a black swivel between the wire and my main line. I hope the fish think the jig its a bait fish chaseing a smaller piece of bait(the swivel).
Lets face it, fish ain't THAT smart. If they were, we wouldn't catch them on some of the weird things we do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I should probably post this as a new thread but how many of you change out the trebble hook to a single? I have had problems with tuna spitting the trebbles and boat a lot more fish with the single hooks. If this is truly a problem, why does nearly every iron jig come stock with a trebble hook?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
most of the hooks on jigs are not of the best quaility. you can replace them with better quaility trebles such as owner stringers and you can attach the hooks with either welded rings or split rings. you can also rerig with j-hooks and either chain or rings. you can also purchase a lot of jigs prerigged with j-hooks...rick

·
Registered
134 Posts
I buy mostly Sumo jigs glow on one side, chrome on the other and have sharpened every hook before it hits the water. I am still having more luck with the j hooks. What brands come factory with J hooks?

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
BEARCAT said:
When you say double line do you mean you use a palomar knot ?
No, I tie a clinch knot but double the line before running through the hook eye. I Cinch the knot down with gloved hands and try to find something solid for the hook to hold on to.

I read in a couple of tests about fishing line the doubled clinch knot is a 100% knot. I have not had the doubled clinch fail but the single clinch is another story.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I tie straight to he jig with my trusty trilene knot lots of people laugh at me for using it after all this time but it works and I have never lost a fish due to knot failure. if the toothy critters are aorund i put on about a 16" of single strand wire on the jig to keep from being bitten off.

Ramon

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
What brands come factory with J hooks?[/QUOTE]
you can purchase bead diamond jigs, hopkins hammered jig with j-hooks. there is also lots of iron that is available from japan that use siwash hooks. siwash are free swinging j-hooks or circles that attach to the jig with a short spectre or mono loop. these hooks can be put on either end of the jig or both ends if you wish.....rick

·
Registered
134 Posts
How well do the circle hooks do on the jigs? I have never used one on a lure and run my jigs as fast as I can. My theory is that the less time Charlie has to look my jig over, the more likely he is to eat it by mistake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts