2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old School 2cool
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, Thanks y'all. She's home now and did the duct tape thing before coming home. Looks like the Benadryl is doing it's job too. She "slapped" the asp off of her neck so her hand got it to. I'm so lucky not to be married to a drama queen. Thanks all. I'm gonna keep and eye on her for a while before doing anything else. Charlie, It's been many a year since I put snuff on a girls neck!
Figure I probably oughta keep it that way
. Tight lines, Guy

·
Salty Dawg
7,733 Posts
Blackgar said:
Apply 10% clorox solution liberly, Watch for signs of anafalactic shock
This is what the national poison control center recommends.

CHARLIE said:
Tobacco will stop the pain immediately. Just chew up a cigarete or wet the tobacco and apply over the spot like a paste. Works on bee stings too. Man o wars too
CHARLIE said:
This is what my Grandpa used to do and it worked.

·
non-politically correct
7,301 Posts
been many a year since I put snuff on a girls neck!
Figure I probably oughta keep it that way
. Tight lines, Guy

___

LMAO at the statement not the sting but I hope Casandra is ok. This excactly what I would have done.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I was stung by one on the leg and it felt like someone held a hot poker on my leg for hours. It took a full day for the pain to go away and it left a scar. I never saw it but I had been shredding with a tractor and that is what everyone I have ever talked to about it says it had to have been. Tom

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Yeah...they hurt...I remember being stung on the wrist. Hurt all the way to my armpits for pretty much the rest of the day. Didn't know about the duct tape trick, but did do the baking soda paste and ICE!!!! I love ice, it'll numb almost any pain away. Screw painkillers.

Sonny

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My dad and I both have been stung on the forehead in almost the exact same location. Rascal fell out a tree on him. Fell out a bush on me when little. Left a scar on both of us.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Tobacco is the best for keeping the pain and swelling down.

When I was little I was stung seven time by yellow jackets and all but one had tobacco put on them. The one that didn't get any swelled to the size of a baseball. The rest looked like mosquito bite.

·
Old School 2cool
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gracias!

I married a tough gal, that's for sure. When I got stung on the neck in 1968 (yup I was 8) I couldn't turn my head for several days, ran a fever and experienced hallucinacions. This morning you cant even tell she was stung save for a little redness. I tell ya, I still get shivers when I look back on my experience! I had taken my first airplane ride from Corpus Christi to my Great Aunt and Uncle's place in Dallas. They had a place at the Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club on Lake Dallas (now Lake Lewisville). Uncle Al was an aeronautical engineer by trade and was building the lake house in his spare time. I was honored to be allowed to help. The project we were working on required the use of sawhorses so I happily marched down onw of the trails to get them for him. I threw one of the sawhorses up on my right shoulder and all of the sudden, my whole world changed! I was on fire, or so I thought. As fate would have it I had a slight allergy to the asp venom and it put a major dent in my play time on the lake. A few days later I was well enough to take the sailboat out on the lake and make up for some lost time. It was an awesome experience that I'll never forget! My bride never ceases to amaze me. Sweet and purty but don't try to slow her down! Thanks to all who offered remedies. I was worried and really appreciate ALL of the suggestions. Tight lines, Guy

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,504 Posts
This is what I did after I got stung. Works wonders!
CHARLIE said:
Tobacco will stop the pain immediately. Just chew up a cigarete or wet the tobacco and apply over the spot like a paste. Works on bee stings too. Man o wars too

Charlie

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
Thank you very much SM!

I can't believe I've never heard of nor seen one of these with all of my time outdoors!

At first, I was thinking the thread was of a wasp (with out the w), especially when I read Yellow Jackets mentioned.

Great info on the link!

Hooked Up- Glad your wife is okay (and very tough!) and thanks for sharing as my daughters love to pick up "cute, cuddly callapitters and flutterbys" (their words for cattapillars and butterflys). LOL

Green to both of you!

·
Old School 2cool
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Bro!
But if you're my age and were born and raised in Texas you probably call it an ASP.
All I know is those fuzzy little fellers hurt! LOL. Tight lines, Guy
Shallow Minded said:
One reason people have a hard time finding information on these insects is because they aren't called Asps, they're called Puss Caterpillers.

Asp is a type of snake. Hope the link below helps.
http://www.bugsinthenews.com/puss_caterpillar_092602.htm

S.M.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Heck, I always called them asps as well. About a year ago I was talking to some people about them and they didn't know what I was talking about. That's when I did a little huntin' and found out what they were really called.

Word of advise, I live in Spring and see them from time to time on my trash can lids and more than once I've found them on my outdoor water faucet handles.

And for the record, I've been a native born Texan for 50 years.
S.M.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.