2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our story begins many many years ago. Over 30 to be exact. I grew up way out in the sticks and the closest town was Blessing down in Matagorda Co. Out the back door of the house was the barn and field and beyond it was a huge dead tree. Well every morning that tree had bunch of buzzards in it. It was kinda creepy working around the barn with those things watching you.
Well when you grow this way you learn certain mechanical things at an early age. Like how to check for spark on a mower, tiller, or wthever. I also knew about rich/lean air mix atmospheres from watching BBQ pits being made from propane tanks.
One week during the summer my best friend, Darrell, got to come out and spend the week. Thus he was enlisted as a conspirator and BTW he thought it was a good idea at the time too. Anyway, we took a one gallon paint thinner can, it was handy and empty, and put a bunch of holes in the top part of the can. We also made a hole where we could wedge a spark plug. We jerry rigged a connection to the plug with a very long wire. To the handle we tied a long piece of trotline string with a fishing weight attached to the free end. So out to the tree we go and chunk the weight over one of the highest branches we could and hauled the gas, spark plug, and wire up to the branch and tied it off. Back to the barn we go and drive the mower out to the tree like we had good sense. Snipped the wire for a closer fit on the mower and hooked it up. We barely slept that night because we laughed at how dumb the birds were and how smart we were. At last the end of my nemisis,aka buzzards, was at hand.
We woke up and Dad as usual had already hit the trail. Momma was in the kitchen cookin' breakfast and we sat down smugly thinking of the impending disaster. After a quick bite; we told momma we was going out to kill buzzards and she just laughed and said be careful. Little did she know. Darrell stepped back a bit from the mower because he wanted a better view which was cool with me because I wanted to hit the switch. 1-2-3 I hit the switch and thought my head exploded. KFBOOM As I remember it the fireball seemed as big as the astrodome. Fire,burning gasoline,branches,buzzards,can, it all came crashing down. There were smoldering branches, flopping buzzards, a crushed mower, and two pre-teens who were in shock and awe. I had gotten a little fire on my britches which was quickly taken care. That would be the least of my problems that morning. The top of the tree was on fire and the smoke could be seen some distance away. We know this because the sheriff arrived before daddy did since he saw it. I still think the only reason I didn't get killed by daddy was cuz' the sheriff was there; it was too late for a body at that point.
After it was all said and done, the sheriff scolded me, daddy whopped me, and momma made Darrell go home. The mower ran for many years after that without a hood. The tree is now just barely a stump. Darrell and I went on to have many adventures, some on the legal side of the law and some that may be questionable. He passed away about a year and half ago and his honor I give ya'll this annedote in his memory. One day I will tell ya'll how we sailed a 16' Ryancraft across San Antonio bay after running out of gas. Good times are never far away with good friends. Have a blessed day ya'll. B&P

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Great story! Sad thing is that now days there would be ATF, CPS, and a whole bunch of other alphabetized trouble makers getting involved. Sometimes its not all bad to let kids be kids and let momma and daddy sort it all out! I just hope you didn't put them buzzards in an ice chest and take a picture!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is too funny. Brings to memory some of my own excursions as a kid. LOL
Love to hear more about your childhood mastermind plans.
Wayner

·
Registered
853 Posts
And we all turned out OK

Great story Bevo - ones like that are so funny because they are true. Sounds like the kind of stuff we did growing up in what used to be north Brazoria Co. (now Pearland). If that had happened now, your folks would be in jail, you would be sent to juvy and the EPA would have to remove 100 cubic yards of dirt around the tree!

·
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For a long time around time people called us siamese twins "because we were joined together at the six-pack". Darrell Ray born on Dec. 19, Danny Ray born on Feb 19. Our biggest problem was there never a limit on anything. Story for another time: Well I can go around that curve at 35mph, Oh well I can do 40mph. That one got me a visit to ER and wrecked car. But another time. B&P

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
If you had been a little older, that would have been a 'Hold my beer, watch this' story. I'm only 44 & have already lost a few friends I used to do stupid chit with as a kid. Keep the good times alive in your heart Bro.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is a very funny story indeed. Be it known though, as much as I detest the bastages, buzzards are protected and were so even back when you guys pulled this antic.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
After meeting you I can really believe this happened.:rotfl::rotfl:

·
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After meeting you I can really believe this happened.:rotfl::rotfl:
You should see the scar on my leg from one of our New Braunsfel trips! It ain't pretty. Barb wire is very unforgiving and has no mercy. B&P

BTW, killing all scavengers is illegal, that includes cowbirds, we found that out when we was about 16 during bonfire time. Young and ignorant. What a blessing it was.

·
swifty
3,234 Posts
Awesome story!! I'll bet all of us boys have some wild stories growing up.

swifty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts