2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
man that is a three part question

that would be a multiable rig application...ling and dolphin (rig 1 ) i would have a spoon or a jig maybe a diving plug straight mono lure only...kings i guess the same and hope i didn't get cut off ?....i never really try for kings drifting weed lines but i think you will need something that looks fast like a wahoo bomb with a wire leader as (rig 2)
just my .02 worth
joker

·
Registered
846 Posts
Weedlines

Not for kings - but to catch Dolphin, small ling, tripletail, nice baitfish around a grassline you can't beat a 3" CLEAR bass assassin on a 3/8 oz jig head. Work it fast, fast, fast and you will see what is around. Had a 47lb ling on this last year. If nothing happens right away nothing you do with artificials is going to change that.

For real fun, throw a Clear Zara Puppy topwater. They beat themselves up to eat this one. They unfortunately will pull the hooks completely out of the lure if they have any size at all. I throw them hookless just to get the strikes. A school of chickens will explode on that lure over and over. Sometimes the topwater activity brings up a school when nothing else will.

Anyone know who sells a CLEAR offshore grade topwater lure? Clear anything is my secret bait.

Gap

·
Dreamchaser
153 Posts
Why not use the clear Zara spooks and beef up the hooks a little. I'll try my clear zara's next time on the weed lines. I've tried several colors of jigs on weedlines and never had a hit, fish will follow them but no bites. I'm tying onto the mono main line and usually the line is no larger then 20 #. The jigs do usually excite the chicken dolphin enough to get them to bite the chunk bait though. hmmm I also have some clear plastics like cocahoe minnows and shad type baits, might try them. I am anxious to try the Yozuri's in blue. Barracuda tore up my last 2 the minute they hit the water. The Yozuri's have really nice wiggle action in the water.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Clear

The issue with the clear topwaters designed for bass is the screw that attaches the hook to the lure is just into the plastic. The fish just take the screw, split ring and the hook out. I am going to try a more coarse screw eye to see if that helps. The dolphin are so agressive they will try to take it away from each other. Two fish on one spook, even the larger one wil destroy the lure. I keep shopping for a through wired, truly clear topwater.

Remember these fish are fast! I can't fish one fast enough to take it away from them.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Clear topwater

What would be wrong with drilling all the way through and using a single hook at the end of the wire? I learned a thing or two about drilling long straight holes in the machine tool business.....this may be doable..

I need to go drill bit shopping and give it a whirl.(is that a pun?)

If it works, "Dutch Treat's Custom Baits" will be open for business................LOL!

Seriously, if you sweeten any kind of jig with a tiny piece of shrimp, the weedline cruisers will really get fired up.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts