2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have to say that it is the best one yet that I've been on. I started this thread to see if anyone of you would share with me the type of artificial Lure you use because I have always wanted to use them but have no luck so I'm either using live bait or dead shrimp. Please name the make and model of the artificial Lure if possible so I would know what to buy and some pictures of the catch you made with Lure would be nice. Hope to here from everyone

·
Banned
214 Posts
Morro Lures are great....
Cocaoho Minnows...red/white tail...pumkinseed/chartreuse tail.....DOA Shrimp...pink tails.....
SOOO many different ones for different water conditions and day time/night time also......

·
Registered
47 Posts
badboy said:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have to say that it is the best one yet that I've been on. I started this thread to see if anyone of you would share with me the type of artificial Lure you use....
Badboy,

There are no "Secret Lures". If you want to make the transition to fishing artys, I suggest you try Cocahoes as suggested here (or some spoons) and stay with them long enough to catch some fish.

Seriously - it's all in the mind.

Piggy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Old Faithful

Cocahoe Minnow red with white tail

This will catch fish in most conditions.

Swimming the lure will work but if you give it the twitch twitch reel, twitch twitch reel method will produce more fish in most conditions

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
Norton Sand Eels....I have had great luck in the bays as well as the surf with em and they can be fished using many different types of retreives. Just gotta let the conditions dictate what type of retreival to use.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to how you do and what you find works for you!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Check this thread out, I basically had the same question and the great people on this web site helped me out tremendously. Also, let me add this...I never caught anything in saltwater on anything other than live/dead bait so I had no confidence what so ever using artificials. I bought a bag of 3" Penny Shrimp by Berkley Saltwater Gulp and tried them out, didn't catch any thing I could keep but I did catch a couple whitting and have gotten a couple good hits. I'm not saying this is the "Secret Lure" but it at least gave me a little bit of confidence in using plastics. They are quite pricey at $5+ per bag so I will try other proven plastics such as Bass Assasins and Nortons as well. Good luck and check out the thread below...

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=69857

·
Metal Man
971 Posts
norton

I use 90% sand eels when not throwing top waters. I like the jalapeno and the Black magic colors in both the full size and jr. Sometimes bigger is not.Caught 100+ on jr. japs. this weekend in Rockportet. Most dinks but enough 18-20 for a limit.All on 2 sand eels, would have used 2 packs of bass ***. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
TTF trout killers stwb/wht, rtbr/chrt,and chrt/glow . also the red killers in the same color . johnson spoons in black, silver and gold. throwing lures is all about cofidence, you have to keep grinding them out to catch fish ,and on other days you will be on every cast . good luck!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can also check the Texas Parks And Wildlife web site the give weekly fishing reports for all areas and even give what baits are being used. I pesonally like the fire tiger trout killers and pmk/crt trout killers.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
plastics if your new to it..

Try to find a plastic that has lots of movement to it while you are trying to learn. Cocahoes have a nice little tail flap to it, Gamblers have great movement to them also.... I love those Gamblers. As far as working them, just throw them out then twitch, twitch, reel, . A very basic movement that most anglers use. After you master plastics, go to top-waters, and its just basically a popping action. I cant tell u really how to do it, u just have to learn as u go.. good luck

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Everything that has been mentioned is good. The solution get you a few not the whole store an go fishingbuild your confidence up, the cocohoe minnows/ norton major minnows are really good chunk an wind baits, capt trica of skinney water adventures really likes the nortons, her dad an ole firefighter buddy taught me how to work a spoon ,ie doing the jd shuffle and i catch as many fish on a johnson 1/8 & 1/4 oz spoons as i do any other lures all the assiassins type baits work the same way, you did not say or i did not catch where you are fishing mostly, But just hang in there and GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
43 Posts
word of advice from a newbie:

Artificials don't work if there are no fish around!

Just throwing them in the water and working it will not catch any fish if they are not there.

Do yourself a favor, pull into a peir one night and wait for the trout to come biting. Then throw a couple of artificials in the school and practice. See which presentation works, then simulate that in a school next time you see em.

It works!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts