2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy got back from Cabo and they cleaned and packed his blue marlin , he gave me some and that stuff is nasty, use it for chum , is that all marlin

·
Banned
555 Posts
I've Never Tried It But Heard It Is Only Good For What You Said Chum
I Think The Chinese People Like To Eat It

·
Registered
185 Posts
Actually the loin from a blue marlin is very good. I don't kill marlin, just release. If one happens to die on me, I will eat the loin but feel guilty after every bite. Striped marlin which is the normal catch in Cabo are good smoked. You probably had smoked marlin tacos in the morning somewhere there is cabo.

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
If the Marlin was put on Ice immediatley, and not just laid in the cockpit...it should be OK to eat...

Marlin make's godd Cerviche...and is good grilled....

It's not like eating Swordfish by an means.

·
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92
1991 ShallowSport Sport 20
1,042 Posts
Did you try soaking it in Ridleys Turtle soup? Usually works for me.....

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Nothing like a big plate of endagered species. One of the few things about Cayman I like is the turtle steaks. Farm raised.
Marlin is not bad smoked. It is better released.

·
Bluewater Bum
1,075 Posts
in third world coastal communities they eat anything. If you were poor you might eat it to. It is all a matter of perspective. I dont want to be an ***** or am i trying to start something but, It is up to the angler to kill or release his or her catch, assuming its legal.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The bad news is that many blue marlin caught in the Gulf of Mexico contain 20 to 30 times the acceptable levels of mercury.
Texas A&M University at Galveston researchers Jay Rooker and Gary Gill are trying to learn why the mercury levels are so high in blue marlin compared to similar fishes and why so many of them are potentially toxic timebombs.
a&m study.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
agulhas said:
The bad news is that many blue marlin caught in the Gulf of Mexico contain 20 to 30 times the acceptable levels of mercury.
Texas A&M University at Galveston researchers Jay Rooker and Gary Gill are trying to learn why the mercury levels are so high in blue marlin compared to similar fishes and why so many of them are potentially toxic timebombs.
a&m study.
Because they are apex predators that eat every other fish that already contains high levels of mercury. That fact is nothing new.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The POCO malin are taken by a local church. They are cut up into slabs and shipped via a refrigerated truck to a large orphanage in Mexico. Maybe high in mercury, but a little protein for the kids (besides the normal tortilla and beans) is beneficial for them.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Marlin is eaten frequently in Hawaii. The serve "Poki" which is very similar to Ceviche made from marlin and it's OK at best. The larger the marlin, the worse the meat. No matter how you look at it, marlin does not compare with the fine eating fish available like Mahi and Wahoo and Tuna. Striped marlin is a bit better than blue marlin, but still not "fine dining." Though I hate to say it, spearfish is pretty good. Sailfish, in my opinion, is horrible, but when I lived in Africa smoked sailfish was a popular appetizer at the French Restaurants. All in all, you can eat 'em all...but why?

tropicalsun

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Depending on its quality, a Marlin can fetch a couple of dollars per pound when sold commercially. Someone must like it to pay $2/lb for it........Not me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a stripe which died on the line on me smoked in Cabo. It was very good, but I wouldn't kill (a billfish) for it. Never ate a blue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts