2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I take an acorn from a big massive Live Oak and plant it, does that acorn have some sort of genetic programming from the parent tree? Or does an acorn from any 1 oak have the same chances for growing into a big mature tree as an acorn from a bigger "adult" (given the time for it to get there)?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Every living thing is genetic.

But for trees I would think that conditions of soil and availability to water and allowing to age are the three key factors to growing large.

·
Cut 'em!
2,621 Posts
Tall Steve has it right.........now if you want the exact same genetic makeup, you are talking a graft. Much of the fruit you eat is grown from grafted stock so that the fruit will all be the same.

·
Registered
89 Posts
live oak genetics

genetics have alot to do with growth habits. Likewise, environmental conditions play a large role also. Lots of people collect acorns from certain trees to grow, just keep in mind conditions from collection site and conditions where you are attempting to grow. In other words acorns collected from central texas or the hill country probably won't perform in pearland as well as acorns from brazoria. Soil conditions and average annual rainfall has alot to do with how your native tree look.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can collect acorns from the same tree, at the same time, and you will get lots of genetic variation. I have bought liveoaks from a grower who collects his acorns from one tree and it is incredible how much variation there will be. These trees are being grown in rows and under the same conditions. Keep in mind that only 1/2 of the dna is coming from the mother tree. The other 1/2 comes from the pollen and each acorn can be from different sources of pollen. I have about 50 "Cathedral " oaks that are a cloned (actually started from cuttings) variety so they are genetically the same. The company is in Florida. There is a registered nursery/dealer near Palestine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts