2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While many people feel that bonitas/litty tunnies are inedible, a good friend of mine reported to me today that he booked a trip out of Mexico last week and that that these fish make outstanding sushi. The charter captain prepared some for him on the boat and my friend said they were delicious.

Now I wonder if I am giving away these fish to red snapper when I could be enjoying great table fare.

Please comment.

Mike

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Ate some smoked in Ca. once and it was good. Never tried any out of the Gulf.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
A friend of mine, one time a long time ago, said that they bled the meat out real good, even soaked in vinegar for a bit until it turned white, and then cooked and ate it..

I never tried it though....

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You must have had too much canned stuff poked down your throat when you were a kid. LOL

spotsndots said:
I guess if you were hungry enough you'd eat anything!! Then again, I can't stand tuna - any kind, any way - so maybe that's the problem!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Want to place bets on how long it takes for someone to use the cedar plank joke?

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
Don't believe everything you hear

I've had a number of people tell me that spadefish are just as good as... (take your pick). Had a chance to try them out Tuesday and found them pretty much inedible. I could trim them up some and soak, etc., but they were pretty strong tasting. For the record, I'm not fussy, either: shark, gafftop, kings, etc. are all aces in my book.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
minnow said:
Bonito is one of the best sashimi fish.
It's much better than YFT and BFT. JMO
if bled and handled properly, bonita is very good sashimi... never had it cooked, so cant help you there..

whats up with the "put the pipe down bro" ? dont knock it 'til you've tried it..

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
As A deckhand years ago, this guy caught a bonita and I ask if I could have it for shark bait. He told me that liars like me keep these good eating tuna and sell them after the trip was over to make extra money. I tagged his "Tuna" and he left with it after we hit the dock. About two weeks later I saw this jerk again. He caught another bonita and I was going to tag it for him. To my suprise he ask if I wanted it for shark bait. I ask, don't you want this fine eating tuna? He told me he cleaned it and his wife fried it up for dinner. He said the smoke and smell from that bloody SOB stunk his house up so bad they had to stay in a motel for two days and replace the drapes in his house. I went into the wheel house and laughed till I cried for 30 minutes.

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
i wanna know who was the first person ever to crack open an oyster and say, "Hmmmm....., I wonder how these'll taste raw?"....... and then ate it

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Bill Fisher said:
i wanna know who was the first person ever to crack open an oyster and say, "Hmmmm....., I wonder how these'll taste raw?"....... and then ate it
I'm sure it was someone that was reeeeeeal hungry!

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Pacific vs. Gulf

I get confused by this but I think what they call Bonita/Bonito in the Pacific is edible and is not the same fish we call Bonita/Bonito here in the GOM.

·
Team OMAB Prostaff
2,416 Posts
Ding Ding Ding

Johnboat said:
I get confused by this but I think what they call Bonita/Bonito in the Pacific is edible and is not the same fish we call Bonita/Bonito here in the GOM.
Winner right here folks. The fish we call Bonita is only about as good a table fare as Jack Crevalle, which is only 2nd to warmed over arse.

Spadefish though, are just fine for the table. Better than kingfish.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts