2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some new pliers that can withstand more than two fishing trips. A friend of mine has Orvis titaniums and he loves them. I just do not know if $200 + for pliers is worth it. I can buy a lot of stainless pliers for that price. I use power pro line so cutting is a must.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
As long as you dont lose them, they will last a long time...

But, you can buy tons as you said..

We use SS ones from walmart, just treat them with corrosion x and rinse them off after each trip..

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I bought some of those titanium plated ones from Bass Pro. They don't rust but the hinge is just regular stainless and so you have to take care of them like stainless. I'd just buy the stainless ones and corrosion X 'em.

·
ShallowSport - 24 Mod V
284 Posts
I have the titanium. They are nice but I will not buy another pair.
Berkley, I think, has a new pair of pliers out with a carbon blade cutting mechanism below the face of the pliers. They are coated black. About $20.00 and I've had them submerged for prolonged wades many times and still kicking. That might be a suitable option as it slices through powerpro braid like butter. If you do go Titanium, there are very suitable options for less then $120.00 now. Van Staal is for pimps in my opinion. lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Would have to agree with the above posts, go with stainless. Rinse them after each trip, along with an anti corrosion spray, and you are good to go.
Can't see spending that kind of money on one pair of pliers that still is going to require virtually the same care at stainless. For the same money you could get 10 pair of stainless. Even if you only get 2 seasons out of each, you are still 20 years down the road.

I just don't see the benefit. But, that is just MHO.

·
Registered
339 Posts
$200 for pliers?? I'm all for buying quality stuff and know you usually get what you pay for, but that's ridiculous. My $10 stainless ones are fine as long as you rinse them off like everything else.

·
Registered
243 Posts
sir_tob said:
I have had my $10 stainless forceps from Academy for 10years. Wash them and oil 'em.
I second that. Everyone, i mean everyone has WD-40 and we all know that it works. If you spend $200 on a pair of pliers, they saw you coming!!

Tell ya what....When you buy these $200 pliers call me, i'll come by your work and pay you, thats right PAY YOU, an additional $20 to kick you in the Figs with golf cleats on!!! LOL $200 pliers....

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I have had good luck with X-Tools pliers. You are not going to do any heavy duty mechanicing with the plastic pliers but they are great for unhooking fish, cutting line and leader, etc. Plastic doesn't rust. And they are pretty cheap.

I just picked up a new pair at Academy that has a stainless jaw insert and cutter, the rest is still all plastic so they won't corrode. I like 'em.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have some new aluminum orvis plyers and think they are great. Worth the money, I don't know? But that why I have my birthday....ask for stuff I would never spend my own money on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought some Van Staal Stainless Pliers and love them. I found them on sale and couldnt pass them up. Greatest fishing pliers I have had yet. Cuts braid with ease. They are still loose like when I bought them and I dont think I have ever rinsed them. Just my .02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts