2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
www.RipCharts.com
1,855 Posts
The best way to hunt aransas is to set up a tripod. 8-10 foot legs work best. Hunting on the ground is very difficult because of the high grass and brush. The terrain is very flat and there are many low lying areas. When I've hunted Aransas during gun season, I never had a mosquito problem. It sounds like bow season is different. Based upon my observations and the kill book, success rate during gun season is about 1/3. Bow season is lower (1/5).

I sent you a pm regarding my last season there.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Bow hunted Aransas for several years. Mosquitoes are very bad. Tripod gets you up out of grass and into the wind. Helps a little. Lots of small water holes scattered around. Wear snake leggings!!!!! Grass is so high you cannot see the ground. Senderos are along fences and in soft sugar sand. Can make for long walks. Vehicles not allowed off the roads. No 4 wheelers allowed. Tough hunting. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have hunted it for the last 20 years. It's tough hunting but is a very beautiful place. Skeeters can be a big problem. Lots of hogs, most are nocturnal. Not as many deer as in years past but if you do your homework you can be successful. The best option is to find a well used game trail and set up a tripod. Way in the back the terrain opens up and you can try spot and stalk if you don't like to sit. I'll be there again this year.

·
RIP HRCH Daniels Sonny Slough 05.24.2016
1,571 Posts
Ill second that, Rockport and N of there right in the middle of the refuge has had over 30" of rain in the last 2 weeks. Can you say mosquitos.
rio frio said:
no matter what I say you will never BELIEVEthe mosquitos (THEY EAT OFF FOR BREAKFAST)and the snakes..BE CAREFUL...

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
dc1502 said:
........ how is the terrain? ......................
Flat and wet. With a strange black haze that always seems to linger??? And there is an incessant buzzing sound everywhere. Don't know what it could be. But, is similar to a chinese water torture. It never goes away!!:D

·
Banned
315 Posts
Don't know if was true but when we went we heard a tale about a guy getting lost for a day and when they found him he had gone insane from the mosquitos.

I know there were enough to make us leave and never go back.

·
http://morrisontaxidermy.com/
316 Posts
Gun hunted about 5 or 6 years ago. Bugs were bad, but that college linebacker looking guy that was up in "MY" tripod before daylight scared the heck out of me. He even wanted to argue with me that he had already put out some scent and that I was too late to get into "MY" stand. Had to point the old 25-06 at him to get him out. I was pretty uneasy the rest of the hunt. I did get a doe for my troubles. I personally wouldn't do it again, but best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Mr Mudbug said:
Don't know if was true but when we went we heard a tale about a guy getting lost for a day and when they found him he had gone insane from the mosquitos.
That is really funny!

Mr Mudbug said:
...I know there were enough to make us leave and never go back.
After hunting there once... I felt the exact same way. I am not going back.

·
Chupacabra Expert
956 Posts
Only hunted there once, and never been back since, by choice. Those mosquitos like the taste of the repel 100 deet repellent. Actually they may have taradactyls(sp?) now that i think about there size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Aransas Wildlife Refuge

I tried bowhunting there for a couple of years. Saw some deer and hogs but never got a shot. Have a friend that got lost in the scrub brush looking for a hog he shot one evening. Took a while to find him. Put in for the gun hunt for quite a few years, before the non draw system they have now, where you only got to hunt for a single day and had to haul all your stuff in and out on the same day. Hunted in the area next to Burgenteen lake. Killed some does and hogs. I did see a really nice buck one morning, dark horns, big bodied deer, but couldn't get a shot.

Lost my deer lease for this year so I'm thinking of trying to gun hunt on the refuge this year.

I remember sitting on an eight foot tripod, bowhunting, and as the sun was going down you could actually hear the buzzzz from the clouds of mosquitos as they rose up from the grass. I better quit or I'll talk myself out of going there this year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts