2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Left Austin at Noontime on Friday...3.5 hours to the Super 8 motel in Aransas Pass.
Lauched at Conn Brown Harbor at 5PM...
Winds were at 20+ mph out of the south, producing murky water...Heat index was near 112 degrees...I got skunked, trying to fish artificials. My fishing partner, caught a keeper redfish on Limetruse Trout Killer 2 with 1/2oz red jighead. Also caught several undersized trout too. Off water at 8PM....Mosquitoes were VERY bad!!!
Started Saturday, at 6AM...along with about 50-100 other boats...What a bunch of weekend warriors!! I heard that the Texas Redfish tournament was also going on...So there were alot of of people watching too...
http://www.redfishseries.com/default.html
Winds light out of the south. Started fishing the intercoastal canal, off some spoil banks. It was high tide, with little tidal movement. Started with TOPDOG baits in chart/gold and bone. Missed about 10 blowups and finally hooked a 17" trout. My friend caught keeper redfish on topwater...Also caught several throw backs. At 9AM, the temp was TOO HOT....Started fishing 10+ feet of water, near the intercoastal and Fin Feather marina. Caught alot of undersized trout and some redfish on Red Plastics. Water was a little better in protective areas. My friend hung a manaray(SP??) and the fight was on....and on....and on....finally wore out and release it back into the water. Stopped fishing at 1PM...Started again at 6PM without any keepers. Just undersized...
Sunday, started at 5:45AM, fishing Topwater. Winds light out of North. No tidal movement, but the tide actually looked low..Had a huge trout hit my TOPDOG and the fish was on, until the big "Yellowmouth" Sow trout jumped like a bass and spit the lure back at me. Trout was close to 30"..Stopped at 9am and started seeing tailing redfish in less than a foot of water....I had never tried for those, but had one big blowup on TOPDOG, bone color...Wish I knew how to catch those!!Next time I will try a weedless plastic bait. All those big topwater baits, had too big of hooks...

Quit at 10AM....returned to Austin with only 5 keeper trout from 16" to 19" and two redfish at 22"..

NOTE: The grass was a problem at times, especially under windy conditions. The water started to clear up by Sunday. Wish I had more fishing time...Will try again later in the year....I love those blow ups on topwater!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Nice report. I avoided the water this weekend because of the tourny's. When fishing for reds in super shallow waters down grade your topwaters. Since you like Mirrolure, go with a Top Pup. My favorite is Super Spooks Jr. Bone is a great color to throw. Weedless spoons work well too. If you fly fish, bring the rod next time.~Neumie

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in my Ranger bass boat...I use my front trolling motor to stay parallel to the shoreline. I find large rock/spoil bank area's between Aransas Pass and Rockport, off the intercoastal canal. There are some rock across from the Union Carbide Plant, off business 35, between Rockport and Aransas Pass...Since I do not wade fish, I do not know where to go...I know that there are wade fishermen out there, so they have to park off the main highway and wade...Also, try off Highway 361, the road between Aransas Pass and the Ferry landing...

I have NEVER seen tailing redfish before!!!! I thought they were mullet at first site, but the spot of their tail gave them away....

HOW do you catch tailing redfish in matted grass conditions? My jigs and topwater baits caught all the grass, not fish!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm familiar with that area. I kayak fish about 75% of the time now, so I'm shallow a lot. When there's a lot of grass topwaters are a no go. I would go to a weedless spoon like a Johnson Sprite. For soft plastics I like to use a flutter hook with an eel BA. That setup is almost 100% weedless but still provides weight to chunk it. If you can place a good cast on the school, the lure won't be in the water much longer before getting nailed.~Neumie

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah that's it. Thanks Mr. H.~Neumie

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
Also- dont throw right on top of them. Watch them and determine the path. Throw about 5 yards in front and beyond them. Make them come to your top water. Lot of time they will spook if you hit them right were they are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts