2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife, daughter, babysitter and I went down to Port A for a light day of fishing on Saturday and some beach fun on Sunday! Got on the water at 6:30 Saturday and the wife wanted to go to the jetties since it was so calm. She loves to catch the bull reds! Water was good but no action after an hour or so we headed to the wells in Aransas Bay for a few trout. First spot produced 1 keeper and then the gafftop attacked so we moved to another well. One boat on the well when we got there so we anchored up on the opposite side, the guy said he had been there 15 minutes without a bite but I have had luck there before so we gave it a shot. We ended up catching 5 keepers and a ton of undersize. Actually had 3 or 4 more fish that were right on the line or barely over but I will not take a chance on undersize fish! My rule is 15 1/2" to be safe! Kept 6 total all bet ween 15 1/2" - 17" moved to some areas to look for reds with no luck and called it a day. Bought some GREAT SHRIMP off the boat in Port A harbor from the Pollyanna, $5 a pound and big fat beautiful shrimp! They were awesome on the grill Saturday night! Sunday we hit the beach after sleeping in and I was wishing we were in the boat fishing the surf. Water was crystal clear and flat! It was the most beautiful I have ever seen the Port A surf I think! Anyway the girls and I had a great time and cant wait to head back in a few weeks.

Pics coming soon! Have to resize???

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,679 Posts
Nice report. Nice seeing something besides dead fish too. We need more bikini pics around here!

:)

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
As long as they are having fun and catching thats the important thing.......I would rather take a the wife and daughter and let them catch dinks all day than catch a couple of good fish and grind all day. We got up into Allyns the other weekend with my daughter and the dolphins were tossing Cabbage heads back and forth she thought that was the greatest thing, its all she talks about lol, not the fish she caught

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I've got to ask. I someitmes fish wells and when I do I drop my trolling motor and I do circles around that well. Well one day a boat comes in and anchors on the other side of the well while I was on one side and working my way back. Most of the fish I caught were coming on one of the corners about where his boat was parked but he was casting toward the south side. I was on that well for an hour before they showed up. I didn't say anything and I left shortly after since 1/2 of the well was now unfishable to me, but I didn't do so well the rest of the day and I was on fish at that well.
I became pretty ****** off later, as they pretty much just ran me out of the spot I was fishing.
I make it down there once or twice a month and its hard for me to stay on fish. Sometimes takes me all day to find fish, and then when I do I get run off. Never again.

But isn't that potlicking. He anchored less than 30 yds from where I was fishing?

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
Unfortunately that is well fishing in Aransas Bay, if you don't anchor you will have some come in on you and anchor. I will fish a rig the way you described then when I figure out which side the fish are using I pull up and achor in a position the side they are using.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
thats fine wading fool, but I have notcied that once I get into them eventually they will slow down. I then leave for 20 minutes or even less and work my way around the other 3 sides then by the time I get back to that side they have re grouped and I am on them again.
I don't like to anchor. I'll often catch 2 or 3 and keep going and then come back to 'em again and catch 2 or 3 again and I can keep doing this all day. If you see a boat on a well too bad IMO. You'll have to wait til they leave. Next time I will tell them nicely to leave instead of "Yeah, I've caught a couple".

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
The best thing is to keep right on catching the fish around them, if they don't catch any they will get mad and leave.I don't think asking someone to leave a well is going to lead to anything but a confrontation unfortunately. If you figure out the side the fish are stacked up on, just anchor, you can keep throwing arties at them from a anchored position. One of my best days was dragging, and I mean literally dragging speck rigs across the shell pad from a achored boat on a well in Aransas Bay, if they stop biting for a bit, just keep fishing, or take a break for a few minutes and they will regroup. In this day and age you have to claim your spot in Aransas Bay, then stick your rod in the water if a boats coming and you have a fish on, or be prepared to be potlicked lol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When it comes to fishing wells if I have a particular well I want to fish and there is a boat on it I anchor on the exact opposite side of them. I am always careful not to interfere with the other boat. I had a guy last week pull up on the same side as us not 50' away and anchor up. It just so happened we were in the right spot that day. He stayed 1 hour with no keepers and we were putting one in the boat about every 10 minutes or so in between undersized fish. For some reason the 3 wells I have fished the last 2 weeks and caught fish ALL the fish were on the south east corner of the well? Maybe the currents dictate that?? I see alot of people pull up to the well and tie off to it and they never catch near the fish we have been? I usually anchor up casting distance away with the current taking my bait towards or alongside the well and have done well with it that way??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts