2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to reviews and effectiveness out in the real world. Its been out for a little while now, surely someone has tried it.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
I can tell you this much in the shallow water they work fantastic. But the drawback they dont work in the deeper water. When I was told before the canal clean up after Ike the folks were going to use Hummingbird sounders to locate the junk underwater and I laughed out loud. After watching them work (hummingbirds) I was amazed. In 10 ft of water you could see 2X4' s laying on the bottom. They work great at the jetties you can identify every rock. They are unbelieveable in water say to maybe 50, 75 ft. But thats it.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have a hummingbird unit and after just 3 outings with it , I have to say it is exactly what they advertise it to be. Offshore it draws not only the legs of the platforms, but all the braces from one to the other, and fish and pipelines exposed on the bottom. Only drawback I see is, if seas are more than 1' the rocking of the boat distorts the picture so much it's useless for the side scanning function. So my recon trips have to be restricted to calm sea's, life's still pretty good.-Mike

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I can tell you this much in the shallow water they work fantastic. But the drawback they dont work in the deeper water. When I was told before the canal clean up after Ike the folks were going to use Hummingbird sounders to locate the junk underwater and I laughed out loud. After watching them work (hummingbirds) I was amazed. In 10 ft of water you could see 2X4' s laying on the bottom. They work great at the jetties you can identify every rock. They are unbelieveable in water say to maybe 50, 75 ft. But thats it.

Charlie
Charlie
I think I found one of your washing machines, you left the lid up!lol-Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is a screen shot of an old bridge pier that is submerged beside a new bridge that was built at the time this lake was impounded. I am on the Lowrance Pro Staff team and would be glad to field any questions about this equipment or the HDS units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts