2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like things are shaking up a just little bit out there. Wind speeds and wave height have been on a gradual increase and radar shows some scattered showers in deep water.

Just wondering if anyone else is punting

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
I tried to head out yesterday ... way rougher than they are saying ...u turned at 5 miles and surfed my way back in the Jetties!!!!

a 36 contender left 10-15 min's before me and beat me back in !!

John

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I started to notice things changing on the bouys yesterday. I think we are still going to try and go out of Matty in the morning.

·
Registered
413 Posts
How rough was it yesterday? 2-3 or 3-4s? We are looking to break the S. Jetty out of Galveston at sun up in the morning. I have had my fill of getting beat up this summer. Buoys (for what they are worth) don't look too bad?

Txfishman

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Yesterday Bouy stated 3.6 at 5 sec.. but it was more like 4' plus!!!! @ 3 sec's and I was not going to get a newbie beat to death for their first trip off shore ...

John

·
Registered
413 Posts
Trees are blowing outside my window right now, hope it settles a bit. We are committed to running to 4 in a row manana, if we hit four footers it is going to be a long run.

Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey John, what's wrong with breaking him right? Hopefully things will be a little better tomorrow, otherwise we will not run as far. If your out this weekend stop by or give me a shout.

·
Registered
117 Posts
dbar,

We are going to spearfish there in the A.M. I'll try my best to salvage some leaders. It is funny how many AJ's you see down there with hooks and leaders hanging out of their mouths.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We changed our minds about 10pm Friday night and headed out.
Sure glad we did, great water and smooth as glass on Saturday at Tequila, Little Sister and West Flower Gardens. Got some Tuna, AJ's and Wahoo trolling.
Ran 18-19 knots coming in which is exceptional for this boat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good report there Tesas Dux. What kind of tuna? What depth, etc.You can PM if you want.

We ended up at Gunnison, and got 0 YFT, but caught the heck out of nice sized BYT. We even drifter at night a flying fish for 30+ minutes with no takers, so I went to bed. Nothing hitting on poppers, chumming, or diamond jigs. We also fished the new star drilling rig 2 miles away. Maybe McGoilfer will tell us what was wrong considering it was a full moon and I thought we would have torn them up. Crew wanted more AJ's and save those BF's, but due to only 550lbs of ice we threw them back. OH well, sorry guys. Still a good time and 2-3' seas. We saw only 1 other fishing boats past 25 miles.
We also ended up with nice 2 dorados(1 was 4' long), a few AJ's(largest was 55-59lbs),4 groupers(largest 15-20lbs).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts