2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
No,I get to keep my overtime thanks to my union. The company has stated that if they could they would, but we have a contract. Just one more reason to be a good union worker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
BritishSlave said:
No,I get to keep my overtime thanks to my union. The company has stated that if they could they would, but we have a contract. Just one more reason to be a good union worker.
The Union is the only way to fight these clowns!! Barney

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Yea I agree, Thanks to my union I will get to keep my overtime pay also. I feel very sorry for the guys that aren't protected. This new law will effect a lot of people. Really sucks! Big business at it's lowest!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
On the flip side, millions of people who weren't eligible for overtime will now be able to get it. Me, I am up a creek without a paddle and always will be. If I have to work 60 or 70 hrs in a week, it doesn't matter. I get paid the same every 2 weeks.

Anyone have a link to the actual legislation? A lot of definitions and income limits etc.. were changed. Rank and file hourly workers weren't really going to see a change. Now, if you were a supervisor, etc., you probably would have seen a change.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Why Union??

Thanks to unions, cars cost too much, tradeshows cost too much, American clothing costs too much, and jobs are being shipped overseas. I'm proud to say I've never worked union and the one time I went to an intro "cattle call" for a job that was, I knew I wouldn't apply because I wouldn't get any work unless I was union. I'm glad I work in a non-union state -- that's not free enterprise. That's why the mob/mafia has gotten away with so much. Do away with unions and the seniority over-priced good-buddy system and we might not lose so many jobs to Asia. And the new overtime rule applies to anyone making less than $23,700. If you work an exempt position, it doesn't apply.

If you want to argue this point, take this post to the other board.

Lil Bit

·
Gone Fishing
11,998 Posts
LU 716...no argument here but go to any construction site and tell me who took the jobs. I don't think Asia has much to do with it...

·
Banned
355 Posts
If the working class had never been organized, the rich would still be the rich and you wouldn't be making jack-squat!

Yep, unless Mexico is an Asian annex, the problem is Southern, not Eastern.

I grew up in a union business. If it weren't for LU 68, my dad never would have made the living he did.

No need to take this to any other board, it would be wasted keystrokes!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What is this Overtime ya'll speak of? No such thing in Management. lol

But I will throw in my .02 cents worth. The Unions had their time, but now with the economy as it is, they have very little leverage and or clout. If you're in an industry like mine, there is nothing the Union can ask for because there's nothing there to take! Fuel prices are out of this world, labor costs are also up, but what is there to show for it? The airline industry is on the verge of a total restructuring process. The United's and American's are now losing Billions each year. The UNIONS don't want to give anything back to help protect their member's jobs. So how is being Union helping these folks?

·
Kamikaze
4,627 Posts
ShadMan said:
Um, they estimate that about 200,000 people will lose overtime, and over 6 million will gain it. A fair trade, I would think.
Well, I believe there are probably more than 200,000 computer workers alone make more than $27.63/hr that will loose time and a half overtime pay. So I think their estimates are a little inaccurate to say the least! CORPORATE POLITICS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well I have never work a union job. But I dad did he work for Shell dp. For 37 year and the year he retired he told me never work for a union. He said you’ll never get back what you put in. He went threw the 62” strike and from that time till I was two years out of school he worked two jobs. The only reason he said was because he did want to have to go through what he did in 62”. I Have always work non-union. I have been at the same place for the last 25 years. At the time my dad retired I was making $ 10 more an hour and working same operation level job. So I can say from my point that I would have to stay with a non-union job. The base pay for operators on this non union site is $45,000 so I don’t think this new law is going to hurt us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mexico

GaryB don't know about you but many citizens complain about hiring Mexican immigrants all the time but the truth is how many of us would pick up a shovel and **** ditches, break concrete, and many other labor jobs? Thought so.The problem is NOT hiring Mexican immigrants, the problem is that the rich continue to stay rich and we try to find other excuses why are economy is the shape that its in.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
Corkyman

CorkyMan said:
GaryB don't know about you but many citizens complain about hiring Mexican immigrants all the time but the truth is how many of us would pick up a shovel and **** ditches, break concrete, and many other labor jobs? Thought so.
*biting my tongue* Seeing as how I don't want to change the topic from
overtime to illegal aliens....

MEGABITE

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
I dug ditches when I got out of high school along with a lot of whites, black and hispanics and worked laborer and done the concrete thing. If you want to work you will do what ever it takes. If you don't you will make all the excuses not to work. As for the ones saying I am making a good living not being union that is good, but do you think the companies are paying you that much cause they love you so much? I think not. They are paying that salery to keep you from going union. So you see, because of unions you are being taken very good care of! I work for Shell and because of my union I have great benefits and a good pay. Oh and base pay for operators at our UNION site is $59,667. and as long as we have a contract I will get my overtime. Thank god for unions.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've lived both sides of the fence.
Thanks to unions we have those little things called 40hour weeks, OVERTIME, paid vacation, pensions, etc.
If you think for one minute Corporations GIVE us anything you are naive.
re the airline union comment above: The airline mechanic should give back his hard earned raise when the CEO gives his back. Multi-million dollar bonuses and perks don't cost the company anything. Nah, just fire another 2,000 people THAT ACTUALLY MAKE THE BUSINESS EARN MONEY. Not too many CEO's flying folks to Des Moines.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Doug, yes many companies pay good salaries to keep the workers from going Union. Benefit to that is, No Union Dues and get the same benefits! The mechanics Union here requires 1% per month. So that equals to be an average of $48 per month or $576 a year. Lots of money to carry a card/book in your pocket. But if your's works for you, great, but there are those that are just money mongers.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts