2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were able to go visit our property on Bolivar this past week and this is what we found.

Picture 1:
This is looking at or house from the highway side approx where the driveway was

Picture 2:
This is a view of the beach looking west towards Galveston from in front of our house. Notice that both the 1st and 2nd row of houses are gone towards the west. The houses you see are 3rd and 4th row houses

Picture 3:
This is one of our pilings what held up our hoouse.

Picture 4:
This is a view from what was our yard on the beach side of our house looking back towards the house.

Picture 5:
This is a house that floated onto our property and not sure where it came from. It is resting close to the highway end of our property.

They have found our boat about 20 miles away. Reported in OK condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you're tellin me! We use to have at least 200+ yards from our front porch to the water front. Now it looks to be about 20 yards.

llred said:
WOW, that is some erosion.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
dknut,

that's amazing!!!!!!!! I've seen all of the pictures, but nothing quite so graphic. I saw this same thing happen in Cameron Louisiana in 1957 when Hurricane Audrey hit there. Over 500 people died in Cameron in that hurricane. Fortunately you and your family were not there at the time it went aground. My home town is Orange and they have had a time with Rita and now Ike. Those hurricanes are no fun, and I will never choose to ride one out, and hope you don't. The most impressive thing I remember about Cameron after the storm is it looked like someone had vacuumed all of the grass out of the soil! Like Boliver peninsula, Cameron had over twenty feet of water go over it in a surge. They called it a tidal wave at the time. Maybe there is a difference. I'm sorry you had to experience the wrath of Ike. Good luck and keep your chin up! Boliver peninsula is very important to the protection of Galveston Bay and the land areas north of the bay, so I feel certain gargantuan efforts will be put forward by the state and federal governments to bring it all back, and probably even better than it was. From the photos I've seen it looks like most of the soil from the beach area ended up in East Galveston Bay, thus I've been wondering if there will be an effort to pump it back onto the peninsula, and especially onto the beach side?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry to hear about your house. We're in the same boat. We went down Saturday and found our slab but not much more, no sign of the actual structure. ( and no, that's not our house on your lot :) ) I haven't had a chance to post up pictures yet but I will soon.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
sorry about your house - as far as 100% loss to the house , it is the best thing that happened to you since it

ends all argument and hassle of dealing with the insurance company. no argument as what part will be fixed and how it is to be fixed and how much to pay for labor and how much to pay for material. if you are like most isured people, you had the house over insured by your agent so now , you can buy the house next door and have lots of money in your pocket at the end and you don't have to be in Bolivar , if you don't want to be there .. you have cash in 30 days and you can buy anywhere .

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
boashna said:
sorry about your house - as far as 100% loss to the house , it is the best thing that happened to you since it

ends all argument and hassle of dealing with the insurance company. no argument as what part will be fixed and how it is to be fixed and how much to pay for labor and how much to pay for material. if you are like most isured people, you had the house over insured by your agent so now , you can buy the house next door and have lots of money in your pocket at the end and you don't have to be in Bolivar , if you don't want to be there .. you have cash in 30 days and you can buy anywhere .
the utter idiocy of your posts never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
boashna said:

*** are you talking about???

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, we will miss a lot of the memories created in that house as it hosted many parties, family reunions, birthdays, and many, many vacations. Our lot consisted of about 5 acres and now it's looking more like we own 4 of that now. We are "over insured" and DO plan on rebuilding. Too many people enjoy this property not to rebuild. Thanks everyone for your words, I'm very thankful that my friends and family are all ok.

Oh, we found our BBQ Pit with over 3/4 of the way burried in the sand. Also found the golfcart at the back of our property, completely unsalvagable but still pretty neat to find it.

So no one recognizes that house? Any ideas of what we are suppose to do with it? We haven't tried to enter the house but there might be some memories for someone else in there.

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,837 Posts
boashna said:

What was your blood alcohol level during the time you made this post??? Me think you need to put down the 40oz malt liquor.

Brandon

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
I don't think Boashna meant anything hurtful y'all. He was trying to see the bright side, if there is one. If he were a doctor, I'd say he lacked bedside manner.

My heart truly hurts for y'all who lost so much. The houses may just be wood and concrete to some people, but I know to those that owned them, they are more than that. They are memories of great times, children growing up, lazy Sunday mornings, family gatherings, and hard work making them what they were. To most, I know they were not just sticks and stones, but true members of the family. I wish there was something I could do or say to comfort you all. You are all in my prayers. - Sandy

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not gonna say that Bo's words were tactical in any way, but I will say there is validity in his message. If you've seen San Leon, having only a slab and posts left is a blessing compared to what my friends down there have on their hands to clean up. I think I'd rather have a clean slate than 2 years worth of cleanup and mud and muck and mold and soggy sheetrock and debris (not your stuff) piled 4 feet high in your house. Think about it.

To the OP, I wish you the best with the rebuilding of your house. Thoughts and prayers are with everyone down on the beaches that lost property.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Sandy, you hit the nail right on the head. This house needed a lot of work when we bought it 15 years ago but it had really turned into a beautiful home. It was used every weekend by friends and family and we never charged a dime, just asked them to leave money for the maid. You should see the amount of them that are offering there help, it really is awesome. Some memories will always remain, like staying up with friends all night to falling off the scafolding when I was painting the house. haha!

We got a call from someone wanting to see the house today so they will be looking at it today to see if it belongs to them.

coachlaw said:
The houses may just be wood and concrete to some people, but I know to those that owned them, they are more than that. They are memories of great times, children growing up, lazy Sunday mornings, family gatherings, and hard work making them what they were. To most, I know they were not just sticks and stones, but true members of the family. - Sandy

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
It's easy to know how you feel as I've been through it myself. For 8 years I had recurrent nightmares of seeing our place wash away, or even being inside when it happened, struggling with all my might to hold up a wall against the torrent of the hurricane. Katrina put those nightmares to rest. I think my psyche knew it would have been gone in that one no matter what. I still tear up quite a bit when I think of the day it happened. I treasure every moment spent there and the memories are my most treasured possessions. If heaven is a personal perfection for each individual, I know that when I die, I'll find myself in a rocking chair on the porch of our old place, perpetually watching a perfect sunset. The only difference will be there are no skeeters in Heaven.

My prayers for you and all others who have loved and lost special places near the water. The Gulf is an evil mistress sometimes, but we somehow continue to stay in love.

I think my signature line says it all.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Are we talking about bad feelings or about houses?

I think they are two different things.

Feeling bad sux. But houses are about mathmatics and finances. If you confuse the two, your finances are gonna suck.

ntd

1 - 20 of 42 Posts